Spare Ribs-How to Rub?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigdlu75

Original poster
May 30, 2017
So I've done many spare ribs with great success before. Typically, I take out the ribs the night before, cut off the membrane, rub them up, and set back in the refrigerator overnight. I find it really let's the rub soak into the meat. I've seen a lot of people, however, talk about using binders for their rub such as mustard or EVOO. I was wanting to try that, but I'm wondering when to do that. I don't want to use mustard the night before if sitting in the mustard overnight will hurt the flavor. If I let the ribs sit in rub overnight is a binder really needed? Looking for input for anyone who has used binders. Thanks!

Mustard, Etc is not really needed because most of the time, and depending on the rub, the meat surface is usually plenty moist enough to hold the rub.. I have used mustard before and it has not had a negative impact on flavor resting overnight. I don't add mustard to Pork because my rub is fine grained. However, I do rub Beef with mustard because my beef rub is quite coarse and needs help to stick...JJ

Just for the fun of it you may want to try rubbing the ribs just an hour or so before smoking them.

No binder needed.

This way you get more of a pork taste than a rub taste.

I just did some ribs with nothing on them, no rub, no sauce.

Just smoke & pork!

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/263432/naked-ribs-no-rub-no-sauce

It's something to think about!

Al

I use mustard sometimes.
It adds no noticeable flavor that I can discern, but sometimes it adds some color under the rub.
I like it cause I can get a really thick rub on for my Butts/Shoulders, and that means a decadently thick bark.

No, a binder really isn't needed if sitting overnight and it has a good bit of salt, especially when plastic wrapped.

Thanks for the input everyone. I ended up doing a layer of mustard the morning of. As most people pointed out, it didn't have any impact on flavor. I can't say as though it had a noticeable impact on flavor compared to my usual method either. The point about rub coarseness is interesting and I'm thinking there is probably a lot to that.

I definitely will be trying some new ways with maybe little or no rub, and working from there to see just I'm doing to the natural flavor. If nothing else it was fun to add a new step, and in the end that's the biggest reason why we do this, right?

After looking at the picture I was reminded of what difference my wife and I did notice in this cook. They seemed more tender than normal. They were genuinely Fall off the bone tender, which I'm not a fan off and I know isn't the goal. Could the acidity of the mustard have broken down the meat beforehand to the point it was too tender after the cook?

I usually do the mustard and rub the night before, and my ribs MUST be FOB as per the Mrs. (Lol) So my chances to try different methods are limited! Thinking of trying Al's naked ribs.

BTW....your ribs look real good!!!

Last edited:
The vinegar in mustard has very little impact on tenderness...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky