Spam...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Eric recommended the 1.25% to go with the .25% cure. It's right at my preferred level, but not sure how much lower I could go...
That sounds like a far better level than this can of hot & spicy. 3600 grams for the whole can. I've got a few other sausage projects lined up but I'm going to give this spam thing a try.

20240129_143652.jpg

That sounds like a far better level than this can of hot & spicy. 3600 grams for the whole can. I've got a few other sausage projects lined up but I'm going to give this spam thing a try.

View attachment 687168
I like to use 1.5% salt and .25% cure #1 for almost everything from hams, bacon and sausage. This is all in salt of 1.75% (salt and cure combined) I recommended the 1.25% salt and .25% cure #1 to Charles because he prefers less salty and more savory, this gave him all in 1.5% sodium (salt) he balanced that with .75% sugar ( this creates the savory, that is half as much sugar as salt)

I would rather have folks start low with sodium then they can inch it up and play with the percentage until they dial in their perfect balance, using percentage to meat weight you can dial in exactly and then repeat over and over the exact same.

Looks great Charles! I love it fried now and then with eggs or on a sandwich with melted cheese. I bought a case on sale on Amazon. When I run out I'll have to give this a go.
A case would out last my years left on earth.
I bet I haven't bought 10 cans in my lifetime.LOL!!!

I don't mind eating it, it's just not something I reach for at the store.
Now this homemade stuff, looks great though.

• Haha
Reactions: jcam222
A case would out last my years left on earth.
I bet I haven't bought 10 cans in my lifetime.LOL!!!

I don't mind eating it, it's just not something I reach for at the store.
Now this homemade stuff, looks great though.
It will likely last me a couple years but shelf life is long and it's quick and convenient when the urge hits lol

• Haha
Reactions: forktender
It will likely last me a couple years but shelf life is long and it's quick and convenient when the urge hits lol
My dinner last night was a can of fried Hormel Corn beef hash, with two sunny side up eggs over the top, like I can talk!!! :emoji_laughing:

• Haha
Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky