Smoking in New England in winter

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I see this is your first post here, when you get a minute would you do us a favor and go to Roll Call and introduce yourself so we can get to know you and give you a proper welcome, also would you add your location to your profile, we like knowing where you are when we talk to you, Thanks!

Welcome to SMF... I see it is your first post. If you would swing by Roll Call and introduce yourself and add your location. This way we can properly welcome you and give you location spacific advice....

As already asked what type of smoker you using?

I normally pack up the smoker and turn to stews and slow cooker recipes, clearing out the meat I smoked during nicer days, but I had to take my dad's new smoker for a spin in Fargo, ND over the holidays. Based on that limited experience, the main difference seemed to be the quantity of charcoal I needed to fight against the ambient single digit temps. Unsurprisingly, it also took longer to get the temperature up initially.

Other than that, there didn't seem to be a major difference in the process, time, or results.

Hey blkdog!  I'm still learning my own offset--it's a Masterbuilt that I found at Sears.  Pretty comparable to a Brinkmann or Char Broil offset.

I've found that in the winter time, it helps to start with a larger fire right away.  I use a chimney starter to get my coals going and usually just one chimney full will be enough to slowly get the temp up to where I can manage it pretty well. During the summer I aim for 225--250 and then adjust the vents from there to hold that temp.  But in the winter, I start with at least 1 and 1/2 chimney's and shoot for 275-300 right away.  That way the cooking chamber gets good and warm, and it's much easier to lower the temp a little bit to where you want it then it is to keep adding coals and waiting for the temp to come up a little at a time.

Good luck and have fun.

make sure you have good air flow for the charcole and into the chamber. If the fuel is burning good and the air is flowing your temp will hold better. You will burn more fuel, so you may need to dump the ash pan. Remember each time you open the door to the fuel, it will get a blast of fresh air and may cause your temps to spike slightly. Give the smoker a few minutes and it will settle down.

I would make sure it is sheilded from the wind. People have made a 3 sided box out of plywood.

If you have time maybe a welding blanket to lay over the cook chamber to help insulate it as well.

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-ft-x-6-ft-fiberglass-welding-blanket-67833.html

Reactions: johnnyrockford
I live in new england like you, and I like to move my smoker into the garage (unattached , well ventilated) in the bad weather. Things take a bit longer , but it comes out ok
If you have no shelter for the smoker , the plywood wind break is a good thing to have. If the wind's blowing really hard , I would go with the oven or the slow cooker. Good luck , man.:grilling_smilie:

Thanks for the information. The garage has too many toys to cook in , so I have contacted the saw mill for  roughsawn lumber and the shelter construction will begin soon.

Thanks for the welding blanket idea too !  I really appreciate your wisdom. I have about a 1/2 cord of hickory put up. That should get me through the winter

Thanks to all 

When I used to use my offset smoker, I layed a few brick in the bottom to help hold heat.   Like Jar said, if your doing a all day smoke you will need to dump the ash pan.  If the air can't flow, your fire will struggle to burn.  

Wes

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky