Smoker Cleaning Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
A guy at work told me about this the other day and I gave it a try.  I took the racks out of my MES40 and put them in the oven and turned it to the auto clean cycle.  It did smoke up the kitchen some, but the open windows took care of that.  When the clean cycle was done, all the stuff on the racks had been burned off.  I wiped them down and put them back in the smoker.  pretty easy and worked great.   

Mike

We have a outside fire pit, after a weekend of smoking and the pit fired for marshmellows I lay them on the grate over the pit after were done, Next morning put them back in smoker.

An easy way to clean grill grates or oven racks is to line your bathtub with four used dryer sheets, set the grill or oven racks on top and fill the tub with warm water. Let sit overnight and then wipe clean . The power of the antistatic in dryer sheets helps to separate the food from the grates.

Go to this web site for more on this.  

I bought a plastic tub with lid and soaked racks overnight and rubbed them off the next morning they looked like new.

http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2012/04/almost-effortless-way-to-clean-your.html

Reactions: supercenterchef
I  have had my smoker for 3 years and have never washed them.   The cast iron grate are well seasoned and I would hate to start over.  First of all I smoke and do not put sauce on my grill NEVER.  I burn off the excess if there is any and a good wire brush top and bottom and a good oil rub down to keep from rusting.  My meat never stick.   From time to time I will build a big fire to clean the inside and watch the Greece run.  Other than that that is all I do

I always clean my racks, but before using them, I spray them with a bit of PAM or some kind of cooking spray. When done smoking, I put them in the sink with hot water and dish soap. I can usually just wipe them off and they come out very clean with little effort.

I have a 60 Lang and I use to use wire brush after smoking,  soapy water and just about everything mentioned above.  What a pain.  Now I use a pressure washer (3300 psi).  Quick easy lemon peazy.  I let them dry and spray some Pam or similar veggie spray.  On the next cook I heat the grill to 250/300 while prepping everything and I'm ready to go. 

thumb1%20copy.gif

Last edited:
I just followed the link and read the article that Carrol posted where dryer sheets are used to loosen the crud.  I think I'm going to give that a try this weekend.

Andy.

Only thing I really have to clean is the indirect side of my horizontal smoker/grill due to long cooking at low temperatures, and I have a small power washer and just blast it out with water the day after a smoke. I swap out the small drip can for a large plastic bucket to catch the schmooze so it doesn't stain the patio. After I'm done power washing the whole inside of the indirect heat food chamber, I then use a weed burner on a 20 pound propane tank to briefly blast those cooking grates and sterilize them without removing them (learned that on this site). This whole operation doesn't take very long, and I don't have to remove anything.The direct side (side firebox), and my other direct grilling units (Weber Kettle, etc.) never get any more than the ash cleaned out and an occasional cooking grate wire-brushing because they have stronger direct charcoal heat.

holy crap, i didn't check this thread for a couple days and you guys have dropped some serious knowledge since the last time i checked it lol! definitely some good ideas in here. I have a MES 40 and i particularly like the idea of putting the racks on the grill and just burning them off. i'll have to try that. 

Alot of good info here. I only have is a wood fired  brick smoker.  If I'm doing pork butts I clean it while the meat is resting.  If I do ribs I just stoke the fire up  to keep it hot till dinner is over.   I usually scrub them down good with a wire brush.  Top and bottom.   I use foil roasting pans as my water pan.  When done just throw it away.   When I fire it up next time, while its warming up I use a weed burning to clean  and sanitize  the racks.  I have never cleaned the walls of the smoker. 

View media item 165648

Dude that looks sweet!  Wes only in my dreams.  I think you are not trying to show off & have a second one built to the left of this one :)

I think I stole this idea from you, and I have to say it works perfectly. I had tried everything I could think of to clean the window, and this was the best technique I was able to find. Just make sure you have heavy duty gloves to handle the heat!
Someone on one of the threads used ash from fireplace and damp paper towel to clean the glass. I tried that today and it worked.  Next time I will put a piece of newspaper on the flooring before scrubbing. Get the paper towel wet, dip it in the ashes, rub some all over the glass, then go back and rub all over.  Rinse with clean water.  Viola!!  Job done with no hassle or chemicals! It works!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky