this is a new one for me - mouse in the smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sandyut

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2015
Colorado
went out to prep the night before for an early morning start and found the drip pan foil shedded into bits where there was a small amount of fat drippings. had to be a mouse, but after many years this was a first. no clue how he got up in there, but usually i just pull the cover off and go to bed, then spark it up with the app without even looking when I get up.

Anyone seen this before?

Reactions: JLeonard
I had the sh-- scared out of me not long ago... opened door on my big fridge smoker... and rabbit ran out! Got in through vent hole in the bottom.

But a mouse... ya, I'd go hot and fast... no fur that way... maybe bacon wrap as well!

Ryan

Had a nest of chipmunks s several years back when I smoked cigarettes. I used to throw the butts off the back deck. Opened my smoker up and saw a huge ball of cigarette filters with the papers torn off and fluffed up. Reached down to grab it not thinking and 2 chipmunks ran up my arm and hit the woods. Scared the shit out of me

Had a nest of chipmunks s several years back when I smoked cigarettes. I used to throw the butts off the back deck. Opened my smoker up and saw a huge ball of cigarette filters with the papers torn off and fluffed up. Reached down to grab it not thinking and 2 chipmunks ran up my arm and hit the woods. Scared the shit out of me
Thats funny shit! Reminds me of when we had a composter - I went out with a some fresh stuff to add, popped the lid, and the contents was all mixed and level…thought to myself thats not good - grabbed the stabbing stir thing and went at it till a huge rat ran over my foot towards the wood pile. That was the end of the composter…and the rats. They met Victor the rat trap shortly there after.

• Haha
Reactions: Brokenhandle
I had the sh-- scared out of me not long ago... opened door on my big fridge smoker... and rabbit ran out! Got in through vent hole in the bottom.

But a mouse... ya, I'd go hot and fast... no fur that way... maybe bacon wrap as well!

Ryan
Bahaha yeah, I figured this was not a first.

hot and fast for sure.

went out to prep the night before for an early morning start and found the drip pan foil shedded into bits where there was a small amount of fat drippings. had to be a mouse, but after many years this was a first. no clue how he got up in there, but usually i just pull the cover off and go to bed, then spark it up with the app without even looking when I get up.

Anyone seen this before?
They have gotten into my Yoder. It’s through the grease drain. They come up onto the heat deflector and shred the foil. I shoved a smallish stick into the drain hole to make it smaller but still drain. The bait station though put an end to to rodent problem. Those black boxes with bait flat work.

Mice, rats, and birds will take up shop wherever they decide looks like a good spot to them.

We have a few feral cats around the farm here, so rats and mice aren't too big of an issue, but I have a Carolina Wren that thinks she owns the place! Twice last year she went through the smokestack on my throw together sausage smoker and started building a nest. Thankfully I saw her going in both times and was able to deter her. Now I keep a soup can over the stack when I'm not using it.

She still flies into the shop and bitches at me when I have the big door open

They have gotten into my Yoder. It’s through the grease drain. They come up onto the heat deflector and shred the foil. I shoved a smallish stick into the drain hole to make it smaller but still drain. The bait station though put an end to to rodent problem. Those black boxes with bait flat work.
good call on the plug. Cant do the bait up here, the foxes eat them and all the other pesky rodents. we have at least one fox den on our property.

IMG_0053.JPEG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky