Smoked chicken breast pastrami - when smoking IS healthy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

edward36

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 3, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Hey guys,

I love making this one - keeps well in the fridge, and if you vacuum pack it and freeze - easy can hold for a month or so... Pastrami is actually originated from Romania, there they call it "pastrama", and they do make it from beef, lamb, turkey, so I said, why not chicken?!

Also, making pastrami usually involves brining, some drying, and only then smoking. I took quite a shortcut here, and I think that it does not make the end product any worse. In fact, it gives you a great pastrami within a matter of 3 hours or so.

Chicken breasts - I work with one full breast (two halves connected) for each piece. Lay it flat on the board inner side up, give it a good seasoning with spice rub, and then roll it together, packing each breast in a net sleeve - you can get it online pretty much everywhere. Simplest way to do it is to use a piping bag - put the chicken breasts in the bag, then the net goes on the bag, and eventually you pull the bag from the other side. Trying to push that breast into the net sleeve without that bag will be quite a tedious task.

The shortcut - injection... For the solution use 1 cup of low sodium chicken stock and 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar... Salt and pepper - by the taste, I did not add anything, but if you like your pastrami on a saltier side - go right ahead and stir the salt in. Inject the breasts all around making sure there's enough moisture inside to not let it dry while smoking.

Temperature - 250F (120C), about 3 - 3.5 hours, until internal temperature of 160-165F (70C). Once done, let completely cool before slicing...

Vacuum packing for about 2-3 days will enhance the smokey flavour quite significantly, so if you like that - by all means, do it!

1592806660713.jpg 1592656272463.jpg
1592656190154.jpg

Looks good for sure. I am not sure however how it gets the pastrami type taste without some cure #1 involved.

Reactions: edward36
Looks good for sure. I am not sure however how it gets the pastrami type taste without some cure #1 involved.

Well, you see... I don't use cure #1 just because this does not survive so long to need it at all... I prefer to vacuum pack it and keep it in the fridge in the garage. Taste wise - I prefer the natural, rather than to use a simple salt with some addition of nitrates. Eventually, that's what cure #1 is, right?

Also, the dominant pastrami spices in the rub are black pepper and coriander ... this looks and I am sure tastes good, but nothing like any version of pastrami I’ve had.

Also, the dominant pastrami spices in the rub are black pepper and coriander ... this looks and I am sure tastes good, but nothing like any version of pastrami I’ve had.

There are no mistakes in cooking, only recipes you have not yet tried, right? :emoji_wink:

I used Kajun spice rub, with a bit of heat in it... You can try any you like - this is more a method, a technique rather than a recipe, in my view.

Thanks for the comment!

Cooking wouldn’t be as much fun without the experimentation!
Send me in coach, I don’t need a helmet!

• Haha
Well, you see... I don't use cure #1 just because this does not survive so long to need it at all... I prefer to vacuum pack it and keep it in the fridge in the garage. Taste wise - I prefer the natural, rather than to use a simple salt with some addition of nitrates. Eventually, that's what cure #1 is, right?
Not sure though where you are getting the nitrate portion. That’s what causes the cure and that hammy / pastrami taste is my understanding. Don’t get me wrong , what you did looks damn delicious.

I realize this is an old thread but i thought my 2cents will be worth...well 2 cents.

As you pointed out Edward, this a "pastrama" rather than pastrami. The jews of the old Kingdom of Romania were making pastrama from goose, duck, sheep. Beef was on the expensive side. When they arrived in NY and Montreal at the end of the 20th century found reasonable priced beef so pastrami was born. And Montreal smoked meat. Different flavours profiles, even serving formats (served hot vs cold cut) but that is the background.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky