Single White Male iso Bratwurst Recipes!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
<SNIP>You also asked about smoking times/temps.  I have put brats on at 225 to 300.  It will depend on how quick you want them done.  I go for an IT of around 155 to 160.  I think the rule is 150 but I like them a little more done than that.

good luck.. take some picts.

Aaron.
Unless you have the proper amount of Cure #1 in the meat, your really should take the internal temps to 165°.

I like to cut 2-3 large yellow onions into slices and saute in beer for about 20 minutes. Then grill the brats and put them in the onions and beer. The brats soak up the onions and beer and tenderize. It is good method for large groups of people. Just keep adding brats beer and onions to a Nesco. If I don't have time for the beer and onions then I like kraut.

Great tip, Woodcutter.  Maybe I'll do that with the onions and beer.  Stuff the casings, saute the onions and beer, cook brats in it for 20 minutes, then smoke em.  

I have everything needed and the ground venison will be thawed tomorrow.  I plan on making and stuffing tomorrow, then smoking on Thursday.  I'd do the smoking tomorrow too, but it's supposed to rain all day.  We'll see.

I picked up a package of Lem Hog Casings today.  It's one long casing that supposedly will do about 21lbs of meat.

Question... do I stuff a length, then twist, do another length, twist, etc?  If so, then do I use the racks on the smoker for cooking or hang them on the hooks?  If I do the twist method to make links, do I simply cut them after cooking to separate them?

Last edited:
I haven't run into the long casing from Lem. If it is packaged in salt, rinse it and let it soak for at least an hour before stuffing it. It seems easiest to keep stuffing and coiling the sausage as you go. When you have a nice coil then you are able to push the meat around and even things out a little. Then look for any air bubbles and poke with a toothpick or something sharp. Next pinch at the length you want for 2 links. Then roll the second link and hold the end sausage and the rest of the rope still. Pinch it twice again and roll the next sausage the opposite direction.

I normally freeze 6-8 sausages per package. I leave them linked together as much as possible. I cut them right before grilling.

Thanks again Woodcutter.

So I made the brats today  I did about 8lbs and used a recipe that I got pretty much from combining those seen here, as well as from some google results.  The casings worked great.  The package said not to soak them in water.  They weren't in salt.  I coiled them and they are now in the fridge.  I'll link and smoke em tomorrow.

Here's the recipe:

8lbs ground meat.  I used venison/pork shoulder.  Used a fine corse plate for grinding. I forgot to use a fine coarse plate the first time, So I mixed all the ingredients in the meat, then ran it through the grinder again with the fine plate.

1 and 1/2 tbl ground coriander

3tbl kosher salt

2tbl + 1tsp ground mustard

1 and 1/2 tbl of sage

2 and 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

2tbl sugar

1/4tsp celery seed

2tsp ground blk pepper

1/4tsp ground marjoram

2 and 1/2tsp ground ginger

2tsp paprika

2tsp caraway seed

8oz of heavy cream, bought at walmart

3 eggs.

Beat the eggs and mix with cream.  Mix all dry ingredients together and mix into the cream/egg mixture.  Pour into meat and mix well.

I then removed the cutting blade from the grinder, attached the stuffing plate and nozzle, then stuffed into the casings, being careful not to over stuff.  The casings seemed strong enough, but I left some room for twisting (linking).

I took a bit of left-over and made a patty.  I loved it, but it tasted like breakfast sausage.  I hope as these sit in the fridge over night, theyll take on a flavor that tastes more like brats.  Although, it's been so long since I had a brat, I'm not even sure I remember what it is I should be tasting!  

So I'll either have brats, or breakfast sausage links. lol.   Ok enjoy the pics.

So far so good.  I just thought it was strange how similar it tasted to breakfast sausage.  Maybe after sitting the the fridge over night, as well as sautaing in beer and onions before cooking, will give it more of a sausage taste.

We'll see tomorrow.  I'll post more pics.  Either way, thanks to everyone for their recipes, ideas and tips.
2thumbs.gif

Looks good! I thought you had natural hog casings. That is a synthetic casing. You will probably end up tying your links with string to keep them sealed. I think you may have better luck trying to twist them today vrs the casing taking on moisture overnight in fridge. (Maybe less breakage today) Also the casings will seal at the twists when given a few hours to sit.

I've read about putting cream in but have never tried it. You'll have to post a few pictures when your done.

robbeih

I loved it, but it tasted like breakfast sausage.
That is the sage in the recipe and the exact reason I left it out.  I made a batch w/ the sage and my tester was quick to tell me it tasted like breakfast sausage.  But hay.. isn't that why we do it.. for the experience.  Good job!
Dutch,

Unless you have the proper amount of Cure #1 in the meat, your really should take the internal temps to 165°.
I am going to have to disagree with that statement.  Mostly because Cure #1 has nothing to do with the internal temp but all to do with the length of time it takes to get it there.  Second, taking a sausage past 155 increases the breaking point of the casing and releasing all of those wonderful juices.

Aaron.

Woodcutter, thanks for the suggestion about the casing.  I twisted them together right after I read that.  I didn't realize they were synthetic.  That's new to me.  Next time I'll find the real hog casings.  If the twists don't seal, I'll tie with string.

Diesel, I wouldn't have ever known it was the sage that makes it taste like breakfast sausage.  So thanks for telling me and I'll leave it out next time.

If this becomes a batch of breakfast sausage links, that'll be just fine with me.  Yes - we do this for the experience and so far, this newbie is really enjoying it!

Tomorrow I'll smoke them, taste test, and take pics.

Like Woodcutter said those are synthetic casings (collagen). You need to check the package to see if there edible or not. If non edible you will have to strip the casings off before eating. Looks good though!

Thanks.  Yes, they are edible. For smoking them, do you guys hang them or lay them on the racks in your smokers?

It is the policy of this Forum to advise that the Smoking and Internal Temperature recommendations of the USDA be followed. The recommended Smoking Temp should be between 225* to 300*F unless a Cure is added and the Internal Temp of Beef, Pork, Lamb or Veal Sausage be taken to 160*F. Turkey and Chicken Sausages should be cooked to 165*F...JJ

Robbieh, the cooking warning is because when you grind meat, the outer surface area of the meat where bad things grow get all mixed together. Botulism grows between 40 and 140 degrees and can grow within 4 hours in that temp range. Smoking sausages can take longer for the temp to rise to safe levels than he 4 hours needed for botulism to grow. Cured sausages have nitrite added to inhibit the growth of botulism. Your brats are considered a fresh sausage without cure so it needs to be brought up to temp with in 4 hours.

You could cold smoke them under 40 degrees and fry or grill them. Or you could give them an hour on your smoker to get some smoke in them and then fry or grill.

I'm not sure how the beer and onions will go with the sage flavor.

Ok so I need to cook them at a high enough heat so that the IT of 165F is reached within 4 hours?  Do you think cooking at 275F will do it?  My smoker will get as hot as I want it to, so no issues using the smoker.

I took them out of the fridge earlier.  The twisted part of the casings did not stick together, so I tied each link off.  Ran out of string, so some are not tied.  Figures.  I'll be sure to get better casings next time.  I was pleased by their smell.  They smelled more like Italian sausage, rather than breakfast sausage.  

I put them on the smoker about a half hour ago.  Poured my last 2 cans of beer in the water pan.  Thought I'd try that.  

So I will continue to cook them, and will turn up the heat if necessary.  This is definitely a learning experience.  I have no idea what I'll end up with but here's what I've learned so far (thanks to everyones help here):

1. Use real hog casings, not synthetic.

2. I over stuffed the casings a little, even though I originally thought I was leaving enough extra room.  Twisting was still tough.  So next time, I'll leave even more room.

3. No sage in a bratwurst recipe!

I'll post some pics in a bit.  Like I said, I used my last 2 cans of beer.  I'll be back in 20 minutes!

Any smoker temp at or above 225*F will get the average sized Sausage up to temp in plenty of time. Most likely between 2 and 3 hours. You want them in long enough to get some Smoke on them...JJ

I lowered the temp to stay around the 240F mark.  It's not going quite as well as I hoped.  The (bleep) casings dried out, so some of the twisted parts broke, causing some links to fall into the pan that had the beer in it.  The beer either boiled away or the links soaked it all up. lol.  So I separated every link and put them on the racks.  I will definitely use natural hog casings next time.  They have them on the cabelas website.  I have to admit though, they smell great.  I figured they'd be more of a light grey color, not red like this.  Oh.. to make it even more fun, it starting snowing out pretty good here. lol. 

Here are a few quick pics.  I can't wait to see what sausage hybrid I end up with!

Well they are finished. I gotta admit, I'm disappointed with the results.  They actually have a good sausage taste, not breakfast sausage like I thought at first.  But the texture is poor.  The meat is kind of "loose", almost like browned ground beef.  Not as I was hoping, like how it is in real sausages.  Maybe I'll use straight pork next time. The casings suck.  They are just dry and red, for some reason.  

Oh well... the only way to learn is to try.  

I'm no going to loose sleep over it.  At least I've learned quite a few things about what not to do, and now I have all the ingredients to try this again.  I may pick up more pork this week and try again this weekend, probably just follow one of the proven recipes to the T, rather than jumping ahead by combining recipes.  I'll freeze these and use them in pasta sauces or something.

Ok well that's it.  Again, thanks everyone for your help on this.  I learned a lot
2thumbs.gif

Last edited:
Hey Rob, I am sorry to hear you had problems...The Color the Casing took on is supposed to happen. The mealy Texture could be from being too lean, not mixed until very sticky to emulsify and bind the fat in and/or over cooking. Lastly, take a look at the interior top of that smoker...Those are Sausage Hangers. Take all the shelves out and Hang the sausages from the hooks. If Hot smoking tie several links into a continuous circle so you can periodically rotate their position so the same sausages are not always close to the heat source...JJ

Thanks for the kind words, guys.  Yeah..it's a real bummer, but what are ya gonna do.  JJ, glad to know the coloring is normal.  I'm still going to use natural hog casings next time, but at least I now know about the coloring.  Also, a few posts up I wrote that I started off hanging the sausages on the hooks, but had to put them on the racks because the links kept breaking.  But thanks for the advice either way.  I don't think I over cooked because the IT was right at 165F, but I suppose it's possible.  My best guess would be what you said about it being too lean.  About 30% of the meat mix is venison.

So for next time:  all natural hog casings, a "proven" brat recipe (probably the ShooterRick's recipe), and all pork.  

ShooterRick's brat recipe calls for 5lbs of ground pork.  Should I buy a pork butt/shoulder roast and grind myself?  Or just buy a package of ground pork?  If buying already ground, is there a fat content I should look for?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky