Increase height of WSM from ground?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chief 7

Original poster
Feb 28, 2024
I am an older retired firefighter with a bad back. Let's just say bending isn't what I do best or for very long. I was thinking of trying to increase the height of my WSM by, as a trial, setting it on a couple of cement blocks. Or, maybe someone on here has some experience making an adjustment / mod that would like to share their experiences.

Reactions: JLeonard
I'm sure they're several ways to boost it up. Add some legs or possibly a metal stand/table that you might have laying around. Here is another idea:

Reactions: Chief 7
Tomorrow we'll smoke a port butt but today I went ahead and am trying the cement block riser method. We'll see how this goes, but prepping it for the morning smoke was much easier. Here's a couple of pics right after we got it set up. Thanks for all of your comments.

Attachments

• IMG_7632.jpeg
    IMG_7632.jpeg
    250.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7633.jpeg
    IMG_7633.jpeg
    259.6 KB · Views: 12
Amazing how just a few inches makes a big difference.
I don't have a WSM, but I use a Jumbo Joe for grilling most of our meals in the summer. I have it on a waist height table and that makes it so convenient.

Missed your opening post?
Thanks for your service. Father expanded and ran a volunteer FD for 25 years as Chief out of his 45 years of service. Skipped a generation as my son is full time FF/EMT.

• Love
Reactions: chopsaw and Chief 7
Amazing how just a few inches makes a big difference.
I don't have a WSM, but I use a Jumbo Joe for grilling most of our meals in the summer. I have it on a waist height table and that makes it so convenient.

Missed your opening post?
Thanks for your service. Father expanded and ran a volunteer FD for 25 years as Chief out of his 45 years of service. Skipped a generation as my son is full time FF/EMT.
I needed the elevation - I blew my back out initially (among other little times) dragging a big old fat guy out of the house - and then he had the audacity to die on my anyway! I'm thrilled that your son is on the job - it is the best one in the world! And I have a great deal of respect for your father and his service. People don't respect volunteer fire departments and the people that make that work and protect them nearly enough.

I needed the elevation - I blew my back out initially (among other little times) dragging a big old fat guy out of the house - and then he had the audacity to die on my anyway! I'm thrilled that your son is on the job - it is the best one in the world! And I have a great deal of respect for your father and his service. People don't respect volunteer fire departments and the people that make that work and protect them nearly enough.
Son learned the back hazard by competing in the Fire Fighter (FF) Combat Challenge.
In NW MN it is mostly VFD. Town we live in actually has a mix of FT and VFD in the same station. FT serves the city only and the VFD serves the surrounding rural area. Many of the FT are members of the VFD.
I didn't follow the FF steps of my father, but I was certified dive recovery.

Reactions: Chief 7
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky