Saying Thank You With BBQ

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That was mighty nice of you Chili. PTs are underappreciated and don't receive enough pats on the back for the work they do. Heal quick old buddy

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: chilerelleno
That's just plain awesome! I'd like to see someone try to top that! I bet they all loved the food and are happy you didn't invite them to a one chip challenge!

Ryan

Reactions: chilerelleno
My thanks to EVERYONE for the replies and Likes, much appreciated.

Now check this out...
I love to cook in general, not just BBQ, and I may have a chance to do it and help families in need.
As part of my recovery and in order for my corporate office to pay me full salary I will be volunteering full time at the Ronald McDonald House here in Mobile, AL until I'm released to either full duty or as to fullest extent medicine can serve me.

I met the Manager of the RMH and toured the house.
OMG'osh the kitchen and pantry facilities are fantastic!
But alas no smoker and only a small charcoal BBQ grill.
This place is 30,000sqf, it's big, it's homey and can host up to 200 people in comfort.
Something like 6 storage rooms for you name it household goods, cleaners, toys, clothing, pantries, three laundry rooms with three sets of W/D each, three sets of public restrooms, a large playground.... You get the picture.

My listed duties are maintenance helper, but when hearing that I was catering lunch for my PT, and that I love to cook, she told me that I'd be welcome to plan and cook one of the nightly dinners.
Most notably they've cases of boneless skinless chicken breasts just donated by a local restaurant, 4 whole turkeys, 3 cases of St. Louis ribs.
She told me think on it.
I'm thinking Chicken Cordon Bleu or Spatchcocked Turkey over Aromatic Herbs and Veggies.

We shall see, and if I do I'll be sure to document it all.

Last edited:
LEFTOVERS! Y'all know I'm a leftovers chowhound.
20220618_172958.jpg

Reactions: TH-n-PA
Man, that is awesome you get to volunteer at RMH!!! Now you get to pay it forward.....
Yes, and instead of getting the 40% cut in pay that is workers comp, I'll get full salary and benefits again from my company.
And of course corporate gets a nice tax write off.

That is great John, for the big cooked thank you to the ones that helped you , and to the new folks that you will be cooking for at the RMH. That would be a lot of fun.
And glad you are on the mend. You really have to stop breaking up your body. At least this time it was from work and not throwing yourself out of a plane. lol

David

That is great John, for the big cooked thank you to the ones that helped you , and to the new folks that you will be cooking for at the RMH. That would be a lot of fun.
And glad you are on the mend. You really have to stop breaking up your body. At least this time it was from work and not throwing yourself out of a plane. lol

David
I'm not 100% on cooking at RMH, I've never cooked for that many people, IIRC there are 30+ people staying there currently.
The offer was made, but I do have my concerns.

Will I have any help in the kitchen, before and after... I mean seriously?
Would I be able to prep and have room in one of the fridges?
Exactly how many people will I be serving the night I cook.
I'll need a hair net for my beard.... LOL.
Though I'm not getting paid, I do not have a current food handlers card.
Am I covered if someone was to acquire a food borne illness?
I'd have to cook something I know well. No biggie there, but still, you can't screw up dinner for several dozen people.... Stress!
More....

Last edited:
Reactions: TH-n-PA
I'll need a hair net for my beard.... LOL.
Though I'm not getting paid, I do not have a current food handlers card.
Am I covered if someone was to acquire a food borne illness?
I'd have to cook something I know well. No biggie there, but still, you can't screw up dinner for several dozen people.... Stress!

John
All good questions and worries....

- I don't think cooking would be the problem
- I did not know you need a food handlers card, it has been a few years since I was in the food service business,
- Hopefully this does not happen , I think you would be covered under RMH's insurance if someone was to get sick,
but again, this is a deserved concern. And I would be stressed about this also
- Yes it would be better if it was a food you have done before or at least the process of. But if this is for folk that are at RMH with love ones in the hospital , I don't think they are thinking 5 coarse meals from a high end restaurant, ( I do not mean that your foods would not pass the quality because I have seen many of your posts )
- And nobody would expect 1 person to do all the prep, cooking and cleanup for several dozen people. They must have a staff list ( volunteer even ) that they call on when ever they put on big functions.

Now lastly, I would not worry about the hair net for your beard ,
They sell razors at Walgreens ... OFF it comes. Problem solved..:emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:

All good concerns of coarse , and I would be stressed also, but either way . It was nice of them to ask and I know you can pull it off. But being stress means you care about what you do.
I'm thinking Chicken Cordon Bleu or Spatchcocked Turkey over Aromatic Herbs and Veggies.

And this sounds like a great menu ,
I hope it works out for you, and like you said pictures , pictures

Good luck

David

That's awesome and a great way to give back Chili ! I've never stayed in the RMH but did visit when my granddaughter was in the NICU and those are special people that provide a much needed service!
I'm sure the families would appreciate your talents just as the PT folks did !

Keith

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky