Saying Thank You With BBQ

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
I've been doing post-op physical therapy on my shoulder for almost four months, and did pre-op PT on it for a month beforehand.
The place I'm using is Renew Physical Therapy and Wellness here in Mobile, AL, and they've been simply outstanding.
Beyond just being my kind of people, boisterous, rowdy and somewhat risque, they have often just gone out of their way with small stuff, e.g. I was craving an energy drink and a few minutes later one appears next to me, they went to the nearby gas station and bought me one... Blown away I was!

So here I am nearing the end of my PT and I've done little things like bring in homemade desserts, but I wanted to go out with a 'BANG!'.
I thought about a nice gratuity for them, but decided to make it more personal and include everyone.
So today I catered a BBQ lunch, Smoked Pulled Pork, Loaded Ranch Style Beans, Tater Salad and Chips, for condiments I made my Spicy Pickled Onions, Honey BBQ sauce and Soflaquer's Finishing Sauce.
It was a hit with the staff and other patients I've made friends with!
I'm glad I got out of there before the beans took effect! :emoji_laughing:

Boneless Butts rubbed inside and out, trussed tightly for even cooking and smoked with Hickory at 275°.
The smaller butt took 10 hours and the larger went a full 12 hours.

20220615_231106.jpg
20220615_233148.jpg
20220616_151341.jpg
20220616_215737.jpg
20220616_215756.jpg

I had people drooling when the smell of everything permeated the air.
We set up a table, laid it out and dove in with gusto! Some very satisfied sounds were being made, and when people started coming up for air they told me it beat any of the local BBQ joints.... "You Need to Open a BBQ Place!" I get that everytime.
The Spicy Pickled Onions stole the show, got more comments than anything else.

20220617_115812.jpg

Last edited:
Just a great cook and a wonderful way to express your appreciation for their effort. I'm in line for full shoulder replacement, one after the other, been putting it off for a year now. What did you have done! RAY

Reactions: chilerelleno
Just a great cook and a wonderful way to express your appreciation for their effort. I'm in line for full shoulder replacement, one after the other, been putting it off for a year now. What did you have done! RAY
360° tear of my glenoid superior labrum.
Grind off a 7mm bone spur / reshape and cauterize the bone.
Clean up all the cartilage in the socket.
Detach what little was holding on of my upper bicep and reattach it to the humerus by drilling a hole, stuffing it in the hole and securing it with a screw.
Basically they took my shoulder capsule apart and put it back together as best they could.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: jaxgatorz
360° tear of my glenoid superior labrum, grind off a 7mm bone spur / reshape and cauterize the bone, clean up all the cartilage in the socket, detach what little was holding on of my upper bicep and reattach it to the humerus drilling a hole, stuffing in the hole and securing it with a screw.
Basically they took my shoulder capsule apart and put it back together as best they could.
Damn chile!!! How'd you mess your shoulder up that bad???

What an amazing gesture John!! I bet they were thrilled to have that brought in for lunch and even more thrilled when they tore into it. I sure wish there were a few billion more people in the world like you. Sure would be a better place :emoji_wink:

Robert

Awesome gesture John!!
Being the great cook that you are, I’m sure those folks really appreciated the meal you laid out for them!
You are one of the reasons that this is such a fantastic place!
Al

Being a nurse this warms my heart. A great way to say thanks for helping ya get back to normal life and function again. It beats a delivered pizza any time. From the looks of that spread they were moving slow that afternoon with full bellies.
Jim

Nice spread . I know it was all fantastic . Your knowledge of food and flavors is way up there , and the reasons you do it really shines trough . Just fantastic . I've learned some small key things from looking at your threads that have made my good dishes great .

It's funny how close you get to the therapist .
They really do wonders .

Mine sounds about the same as yours . Top of my shoulder was ground up from packing bundles of studs .
They cut all that dead hamburger meat out and had to grind and re-shape the bone like you said .
Re-attached the bicep , and stitch my Rotator Cuff tear .

That was '07 , and I'm saying it took over 10 years to get right after that . It was instantly better , but takes awhile to get to where you don't notice it .
Really after I stopped working and lifting was when that happened . Gets back to normal , just takes awhile .

chilerelleno chilerelleno So I looked through your index . I figure the onion recipe is the one in with the Pickled eggs from hell ?
I'll be trying those .

Damn chile!!! How'd you mess your shoulder up that bad???
Did it at work, combination of one particular incident and 14 years of doing the same work. Some commonality with chopsaw chopsaw , repetitive carrying lots of heavy stuff on my shoulder and working overhead pulling back to front.
So thankfully it was all on workers comp dime, and not an accident on my own time.

Reactions: negolien
What a great gesture Chile and coming from you, that bbq must easily be the best they ever had! Good on you and how is the shoulder doing now? Recovery on them is rough.
Thanks, shoulder is doing much better, still can't do my original job yet. Yep, shoulder surgeries make for tough recoveries.

• Haha
Reactions: negolien
Nice spread . I know it was all fantastic . Your knowledge of food and flavors is way up there , and the reasons you do it really shines trough . Just fantastic . I've learned some small key things from looking at your threads that have made my good dishes great .

It's funny how close you get to the therapist .
They really do wonders .

Mine sounds about the same as yours . Top of my shoulder was ground up from packing bundles of studs .
They cut all that dead hamburger meat out and had to grind and re-shape the bone like you said .
Re-attached the bicep , and stitch my Rotator Cuff tear .

That was '07 , and I'm saying it took over 10 years to get right after that . It was instantly better , but takes awhile to get to where you don't notice it .
Really after I stopped working and lifting was when that happened . Gets back to normal , just takes awhile .

chilerelleno chilerelleno So I looked through your index . I figure the onion recipe is the one in with the Pickled eggs from hell ?
I'll be trying those .
Thanks chopsaw chopsaw
Yes, these were similar to those onions, but a milder version safer for the general public.

White vinegar, water, sugar and salt for the brine.
White onions sliced thin, 2 cloves garlic, one Serrano split lengthwise, half a Habanero and 1T Sriracha in each jar.
Stuff the jar, pour in hot brine, let it cool a bit, vacuum seal the jar and refrigerate for two weeks.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky