Celery Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ronzwood

Original poster
Jan 17, 2016
I have been hooked on smoking celery sausage that I found in a local grocery store. Of course the package does not list all of the ingredients. Does anyone have a recipe to make celery sausage? I have searched the internet extensively and cannot find anything. Thanks.

UPDATE: We did make sausage but I was outvoted so we made polish sausage and breakfast sausage. I was the only one in the group willing to take a risk on the celery sausage. Will do a little more research and then try it on my own - can't be outvoted that way. Thanks for all of the help!

Last edited:
Is it sausage that is cured with celery powder vs cure #1?
No. I've seen it called country sausage and celery sausage. It has celery seeds, pepper, and salt in it. It is mild and a little sweet. I may just have to try a few different combinations.

Something I've been interested in is Old Bay sausage .
Take a look at this . Might not be the same , but maybe some ideas there .

Interesting. Wife's family (some french) uses LOTS of celery in their cooking. Celery itself, celery salt, seed, etc. That sausage sounds pretty good. Celery seed is fairly bitter and strong when ground so take it easy if doing that.

Is this the stuff? If so I would imagine there is some italian influence in the formula.

http://romagourmet.com/product/country-style-sausage-celery/

I
Interesting. Wife's family (some french) uses LOTS of celery in their cooking. Celery itself, celery salt, seed, etc. That sausage sounds pretty good. Celery seed is fairly bitter and strong when ground so take it easy if doing that.

Is this the stuff? If so I would imagine there is some italian influence in the formula.

http://romagourmet.com/product/country-style-sausage-celery/
I agree it dosent take much. I Use celery seed in some of my recipes. 5/8 t of seeds ground per 5lb is enough to tell its present, almost overpower other spices. If not ground it seems to have a more mellow presence when the seeds are bitten into.

The chart on Marianski's site shows 2.5 grams of celery seed per 2.2 pounds of grind .

Reactions: zwiller
Even when using small amounts I think there is a good possibility that there is some trickery at play. Maybe some extraction? IE steeping in hot water before using. The stuff is downright nasty bitter. This might also be one of those weird spices that pre ground is actually better than fresh ground. Some spices benefit from a little oxidation.

I'm looking forward to seeing this one play out. From what I found online, it should be good, but there aren't really any recipes to make it from scratch.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky