Purchasing meat...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

3montes

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 26, 2007
Beautifull shores of Lake Superior
I did a search on this topic but came up empty handed. So I will ask here. I was at Wally World and perused their meat dept. I personally have a issue with purchasing edibles in particular meat from Wal Mart for reasons I won't get into here.
But I did look at their pork shoulder butt roasts for making pulled pork and their ribs. Spare, baby and country style. They are all prepackeged and not what I would say is as fresh as you can get from a local supermarket or butcher shop.
How important do you consider it to a sucessfull smoke to start with the freshest meat possible? Do you buy the day before from your local butcher or are you just as happy buying from Wal Mart and throwing it in the freezer untill you are ready to use?

I will take aged beef over fresh any day. As to Wal-Mart, rarely buy our meats there. Mainly we use Winn Dixie and Hitchcock when we feel like a drive. Since Wal-mart has no butcher, we have found some meats contain alot of water, which intern is weight. Why pay for weight that is not meat. Now SAMS club is another story if you have one of them. Very good meats come from SAMS, atleast ours. Our small town Winn Dixie is great. I know they get slammed by alot of folks, but our is clean and the butchers are top notch. Just look at some of my soup bone post
icon_mrgreen.gif

I have bought from SAMS, particularly ribs. Wal-Mart is less desirable. I will however buy Tyson Pork loins from wally world but thats it. If you don't have access to buying your own meat from an individual such as a whole hog or 1/2 of beef on the hoof and just have it processed yourself, supermarkets are by far the freshest.

We have had a great relationship with a excellent butcher for a number of years. My wife has a Pepperidge Farm distributorship which gets her in the grocery stores on a daily basis. She knows people in the biz
wink.gif
We work with one of the smaller grocery stores meat dept. The butcher there always cuts our prime rib to the exact size we are looking for. Same with our rib eyes or anything else we need. We do have to give him several days notice and few packages of Pepperidge Farm cookies to seal the deal
biggrin.gif
But for impromptu spur of the moment I wanna smoke something today I am limited in choices. Thus the Wal Mart question. Do have a Sams Club about 30 minutes away so maybe that will be my place to go when I get that spur of the moment urge.

I have bought butts and shoulders from wally world and not had any problem. If I am looking to buy alot of meat I go to BJ's wholesale.

The wife does all the shopping at wal-mart and I don't go with her. I will go to sams, reasors or the local butcher. Some I use fresh some I freeze.
It depends on the sale!

I have bought briskets, butts, and ribs from Wal-Mart- with no problems. I prefer my big grocery store, but I will get it at Wal-Mart if in a hurry- or the grocery is out (has happened).

around here, wally world is not the best to shop for meats at all

went there last night, my local little mom & pop grocer has whole pork loins for $1.60/lb , walmart $2.99/lb

ribs $2.79/lb , locall $1.29/lb

once and awhile we buy JD sausage from walmart but thats about it, quality there is not that great

I find Sam's to be as close to a wholesale setup as it gets witout being one. Ours move a TON of meat...good thing that!

Now we are lucky enough to have a large rather famous co-op type market in Detroit- the Eastern Market. There you can walk into the cooler and say "I want the shoulder from THAT pig"- well, you'd get the whole front... but ya see what I'm saying.

Get most of our meat from Wal-mart. I've had no problem with anything I've ever gotten there...I will agree that the Sams is usually cheaper, plus they will sell you a case of the 2 pack butts (6 butts) or a case of the baby backs 3 packs (18 slabs total I think.) Only problem I can think of is a broken end of a drumstick two seperate times on some tyson whole chickens. I can deal with that.

I've checked prices at the local Kroger's, and our only real butcher shop, and the cuts are smaller, and cost significantly more per pound. They also don't look like the product turns as quickly there.

I like to get the sales if I can, and am currently holding like 4 JD chubs and a couple slabs of spares in the freezer. It's like everything else on this forum there is a vast spread of opinions on everything, and it usually comes down to your own tastes.

i agree with packer..........if i try to buy local butchers..........they want 3.99 for a packer...........sam's club.........1.60
butts.........1.70
hy-vee or sams........1.19, and when on sale....... .99/lb

i know the local butcher is fresher.......but, on a fixed income......we have to get the cheapest we can.............

d88de

I avoid Wal Mart meat at all costs. Everything thay sell is water added to the legal limit, and not a chance in he!! in getting any kind of service. Sam's Club is a different story and so are some of the chain grocery stores. If I have a special need, I go to the local butcher/meat market.

i buy a lot of meat from walmart.. the local super market (IGA) does have a good selection of large cut beef, no brisket,..the other food stores don't do large cuts and my favorite butcher burned down. so when i make the 75 mile round trip to walmart i load up because usually they have it all in one stop..got 40# of spares and 40# of brisket last weekend

I always thought that Wal-Mart and Sams were owned by the same people. "Sam Walton" Wouldn't the meat be the same? I can only get briskets at Sams. Our Wal-marts here don't carry meats. Heck half of the supermaket butchers in Phila. don't even know what a brisket is. I'm not lying, once I ask a butcher at our Pathmart supermaket if the have any "Boston Butt's", told me he has been working there for over ten years and never heard of one. I swear that's the truth. So for me it's always Sam's.

I raise all my own beef so I know exactly what went into it, how it is processed and cared for after that. I do want to point out that "aged" beef is not a reference to freshness, but rather how long it was allowed to hang in the locker before processing, which of course allows natural enzymes to begin breaking down proteins and hence develop flavor and tenderness. Properly aged beef should still be fresh. I will buy pork from Sams or a local natural foods market with a great meat counter, as well as local farmers from time to time. I too, am very pleased with Sam's but I will be a lot more comfortable if country of origin labeling goes into effect. I occasionally have a hard time finding pork trim to use with my wild game meat for sausage. I have always scavenged from some of the local processors but they act like they are really doing me a favor when I ask for it. I have now found a local meat wholesaler that will order me a case of trim (50 lbs). Sometimes more than I need, but it freezes well. I will buy a 5 # pack of bacon pieces and ends in the grocery store I'm I can't find trim and am making smaller batches. This works well.

Three wally worlds within ten miles or less of each other and lucky for me the nearest one has the best meat department as far as selection of pork goes compared to the other two. (You would think that they would be the same set up, but it doesn't look like they are) There is almost always atleast one or two of the item that you are looking for, now if it is the right price or the right quality, that will vary. I usually buy Tyson pre packed on some of the bigger stuff, water added be damned, it is usually cheaper if I am buying it.
icon_biggrin.gif

Their boneless country style ribs on the styro tray are usually the biggest cuts of anyplace that I have seen. Now I think that this wally worlds beef selection is kind of on the weak side and hunting for turkey leggs there is like trying to find ice in hell.

Publix has a store near me that I call "Publix light", no bank, minimal seafood, small produce section and even smaller meat department as far as what is put out on the styro trays. However the butcher there is the freindliest and most eager to please guy there is in the meat cutting industry. Unfortunatly the prices are usually pretty high. There are a couple of other Publix stores a little further away that have the wider selection, but still prouder prices, but if you wanted a leg of lamb they will have it along with misc buffalo, goose or duck.

There are a few other chains round these parts but I don't shop any of them enough to be accurate in an evaluation. Kroger used to be my favorite as far as other groceries went but I think that their meat dept was just average (Been a long time) Winn Dixie was only if it was closer than anywhere else (I seem to think that they used to have the best and cheapest ground beef, but again, it has been a long time) There is a Food Depot a little ways away that had some of the biggest cuts of meat that I have ever seen on a styro tray, they had spare ribs that looked like they came off a brontosaurus! Never did try them though
frown.gif

A funny story
A year or so back one of the moms from our sons baseball team, while we were on the subject of grocery stores, said to the effect that. "We are so rural that our Piggly Wiggly is the last place that you can shop barefoot and smoke a cigarette!"

I laughed my head off!

Ah..... the days of walking barefoot on the coooool grocery store floor on a hot summers day.....Right up until you step on that still smoldering cigarette butt!
icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif

I do believe that it is true that you get accustomed to brands and form brand loyaties, and the prices are almost always subject to being at the right place at the right time. I can not afford to price shop if it means driving to half a dozed places to save a penny. And even then price shopping can be tough because you are often comparing apples to oranges. One place it is boneless the other not, different cuts or trimmed different or packaged in different size packs. Save on the meat, pay a little more for the bread. Shop where the workers are freindly and helpfull or where they are not.

For me it is wally world or Publix Light neither is really the perfect solution but they are the closest places and by default they get my business. The Sams by me is always picked over because it is one of the few in the area and I just haven't quite figured the place out yet.

here in iowa.........amana beef is a great name in beef production.......and our walmarts carry amana beef.............its some of the best...........

they don't have a meat counter any more.....just pre packaged meats.......but have never had any complaints

but you guys are right........packers i can only find at sams club.........

our local hy-vee tho carries butts.........this is pig country.....so any thing pork......our butchers know about

zapper.........at our sam's club, i ask when they get shipments of meat in......and try to be in there that day, or the next.........

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky