PP in mes with first go at a maze n tray

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Thomas The Tank

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 24, 2018
Valparaiso, IN
Got an mes 30 and when I got into smoking meat a year ago I bought the mes cold smoke kit attachment so I didn’t have to load chips every 30min. (This was before joining the forum and only doing minimal research) Problem was I would fill the chute and then it would get jammed up. So I was still messing with it a lot more than I wanted to. I went and got the a maze n tray and loved it.

Anyway did my first smoke with it on a pork butt and loved it. Had to fill with some more pellets once in the cook but a lot better than constantly messing. pork turned out great!

The tray should get me thru until I get a rec tec or other pellet grill.
AE76D1E5-7967-467F-A04B-BAD725849891.jpeg
9AF117E8-5C09-423B-A61C-18CEA745AE91.jpeg
9CC14D99-9B10-4C16-9D36-A3BA9790632F.jpeg

It looks like you lit both ends of the pellet tray, or is that an illusion? Full tray should give you around 12 hours of smoke if you light one end. Looks good!

That looks gorgeous!

What flavor of pellets did you use?

How long of a smoke did you get from your maze?
Thanks!

It came pre filled with competition blend pelts, when I added more I used lumberjack competition blend. From what I’ve read they are the same.

I only got about 7hrs or smoke from it, which I was please with that. Since using a gen 2 mes I set it on the drip tray above the opening where the water pan goes, and put a foil pan up top with water. The directions did say if it’s closer to a heat source it will burn faster.

It looks like you lit both ends of the pellet tray, or is that an illusion? Full tray should give you around 12 hours of smoke if you light one end. Looks good!
Actully when i filled it with more pellets i added to the right side where it was red hot with smoldering pellets. So this pic was after I filled it and the smoke was an hour or two from being done. Only got about 7hrs smoke I am guessing since it was placed closer to the heating element.

LIKE. Good looking PP!

I set my tray on lowest rack above element and run @ 275F and still get 12hours or more. Coulda jumped a row. Happens. We like PM blend on chicken and prefer oak for most.

Actully when i filled it with more pellets i added to the right side where it was red hot with smoldering pellets. So this pic was after I filled it and the smoke was an hour or two from being done. Only got about 7hrs smoke I am guessing since it was placed closer to the heating element.
Make sure the top of the pellets dont over lap the divider walls and you can also set the tray on the lower rack above the heater.
tray foil.jpg

Awesome looking PP...Big Like!

As for the pellets, you can get refills at Amazon or through A-MAZE-N Products. If you have Amazon Prime, go that way and save on the shipping.

I like Hickory and Mesquite best...not a huge fan of Pitmaster Blend but will still eat everything that was smoked with it...Pecan is good as well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky