Polish Style

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
This is #3 pounds pork with Hi Mountain Seasoning Polish mix. I like the seasoning but don’t care for their cure which contains more sugar so I use the seasoning and toss the cure then add phosphate, cure #1 and sodium erythorbate, and some salt. Will stuff these with my new #10 LEM Motorized stuffer and smoke tomorrow. Stay tuned for a good linking method for 32mm sausage at 6” plus links, super easy.

IMG_1783.jpeg

IMG_1784.jpeg

Super easy link that won’t untwist. This style links in pairs.

First run with the new stuffer I had a blow out. No problem but I had no time to deal with that dealing with the #60 of meat in the smokehouse and cooking supper, so just rolled on. Left that for more fry test.

Take the length of your rope and pull it in half, pinch and twist that high point.
IMG_1786.jpeg

Then measure or judge your link length and cross the two and pinch that point .

IMG_1787.jpeg

And twist

IMG_1789.jpeg

Then take one leg and run it back through the hole made by the first two links and back down. This locks the twist so it can’t unravel.

IMG_1788.jpeg

And then repeat.

IMG_1790.jpeg

These will hang and not unravel. Super simple and works well in the smoker.

Attachments

• IMG_1788.jpeg
    IMG_1788.jpeg
    163.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1789.jpeg
    IMG_1789.jpeg
    161.9 KB · Views: 7
What casings are in the kit?
Crap’ola salt packed junk. I don’t use their casings or their cure. But the spice is good. Today my thick head has finally realized that a big part of the secret of commercial seasoning is the fact that they grind it to a fine powder. This fact is actually huge on flavor. I’m still learning and having a ball doing it.

Good stuff! I’ve often thought my home seasonings are not fine ground enough - especially pickling spices - I may need a grinder
Timber

Crap’ola salt packed junk. I don’t use their casings or their cure. But the spice is good. Today my thick head has finally realized that a big part of the secret of commercial seasoning is the fact that they grind it to a fine powder. This fact is actually huge on flavor. I’m still learning and having a ball doing it.
The salt packed junk is useable. Just takes about a month hydrate it.

I made up 2 kilos of Jimmy Dean bulk last night.
The entire spice mixture gets a ride in the cheap blade style coffee/spice grinder.
If my wife doesn't leave too much coffee in the grinder it goes in with the spices.
I use a cheap chip brush to wipe it out.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
My next batch will either be Nuremberg brat or a basic kielbasa and I’m definitely running the spices through my spice grinder.

Reactions: Fueling Around
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky