Multi probe PID's

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KCinNE

Original poster
Feb 14, 2024
NW Nebraska
I've started looking at PID's for my smoker build later this spring. I was wondering if any of you all use PID's with multiple probes ? Trying to figure out if that's a good option or one that wouldn't get much use. I've not had the option in the past to have the smoker adjust the heat based on IT of the meat, but maybe that would be useful. Maybe shutoff the smoker when desired IT is reached ? I'm new to PId's so I don't know what I don't know. Any advice would be appreciated.

Reactions: JLeonard
I can't help you out but believe JC in GB JC in GB has built some so maybe he will chime in. Probably several others could help but he's the first to come to mind.

Ryan

From my perspective, if the controller is wifi, then having the meat probes on the same app is a useful feature. If not having the meat probes as Bluetooth/wifi separately is better.

Reactions: JLeonard
Trying to figure out if that's a good option or one that wouldn't get much use. I've not had the option in the past to have the smoker adjust the heat based on IT of the meat, but maybe that would be useful. Maybe shutoff the smoker when desired IT is reached ?
There's a couple of the guys that have them here . Give them a chance to see this . I know the one guy uses his to put the smoker in a holding temp when the desired IT is reached .
I would like the ability to take the chamber temp down . If my 1510 ever kicks the bucket , that's what I'll get .

Love the dog in your avatar . Reminds me of someone .
20210406_092944.jpg

Reactions: Brokenhandle
There's a couple of the guys that have them here . Give them a chance to see this . I know the one guy uses his to put the smoker in a holding temp when the desired IT is reached .
I would like the ability to take the chamber temp down . If my 1510 ever kicks the bucket , that's what I'll get .

Love the dog in your avatar . Reminds me of someone .
View attachment 688912
Thanks, he's my hired man and a lover of any dropped on the ground smoked goodies 😁

I've started looking at PID's for my smoker build later this spring. I was wondering if any of you all use PID's with multiple probes ? Trying to figure out if that's a good option or one that wouldn't get much use. I've not had the option in the past to have the smoker adjust the heat based on IT of the meat, but maybe that would be useful. Maybe shutoff the smoker when desired IT is reached ? I'm new to PId's so I don't know what I don't know. Any advice would be appreciated.
I have a PID that uses multiple probes.

If you don't have a good reliable remote way to monitor them then those extra probes are pointless. My situation is the the wifi unit on my fancy ass PID no longer works so my extra PID probes are almost pointless. They are measuring smoker rack temps in a couple of spots but I know my setup so well that I can look at the unit 1 time and know if things are behaving across the 2 extra probes at rack levels and the main probe that controls the smoker behavior.

What is always going to be useful is a good wireless multiprobe thermometer with like 4 probes.
That is what I use for meat probes and some other rack probes as needed. Mine is radio frequency and gives me a ridiculous distance. I've never taken it beyond about 50yds but I don't doubt it would go well over 150yds. This thing works flawlessly and has high/low alarms etc. for each and is all I need. Plus I can bring it in the house and use it for oven baking dishes :D

I hope this info helps :)

Reactions: MJB05615
I have a PID that uses multiple probes.

If you don't have a good reliable remote way to monitor them then those extra probes are pointless. My situation is the the wifi unit on my fancy ass PID no longer works so my extra PID probes are almost pointless. They are measuring smoker rack temps in a couple of spots but I know my setup so well that I can look at the unit 1 time and know if things are behaving across the 2 extra probes at rack levels and the main probe that controls the smoker behavior.

What is always going to be useful is a good wireless multiprobe thermometer with like 4 probes.
That is what I use for meat probes and some other rack probes as needed. Mine is radio frequency and gives me a ridiculous distance. I've never taken it beyond about 50yds but I don't doubt it would go well over 150yds. This thing works flawlessly and has high/low alarms etc. for each and is all I need. Plus I can bring it in the house and use it for oven baking dishes :D

I hope this info helps :)
Thanks for the reply, your info is helpful. I do have a 4 probe thermometer now, it works well over 500 yards with all the bells and whistles. So maybe a wireless PID with multiple probes isn't something that's needed.

Thanks for the reply, your info is helpful. I do have a 4 probe thermometer now, it works well over 500 yards with all the bells and whistles. So maybe a wireless PID with multiple probes isn't something that's needed.
Glad the info helped.

The 4 probe thermometer had you covered well. It will now come down to what makes you happy. If you want the gadgets and experience of a multi probe PID then scratch that itch to be happy. No matter what you are covered with that 4 probe thermometer :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky