Pickle time!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
Morning folks,
On the way home from a hot day at work. I stopped by a corner stand. And saw some purty looking cukes.

IMG_20230728_161014817 (1).jpg

Bought 4 pounds. The kid there didn't know the variety of them. Looks like pickling cukes.

Made 2 quarts of brine with filtered water with 3.5% salinity.

IMG_20230728_162928326.jpg

Bud ends removed. And placed in fermenter with fresh dill, dill seeds, garlic cloves cut in half, mustard seed, pickling spice, and a touch of red pepper flakes.
I'll let these for 2 weeks. Test. Then probably go another week.

Nice Steve, these will be refrigerator pickles ?

1 of my favorite times of the year, pickle and preserving time.
Another month for us before I really get into it .

David
Morning David,
Yes, these will be fridge pickles. I don't want to loose the probiotics from heating them. We are just getting fresh locally grown veggies over this way. I'm hoping to score a load of bannana peppers to ferment.

Looks good Steve. You will have delicious full sours for sure! I need to get some of these going too. I want to do a few bar he's of dilly beans as well c

Looks good Steve. You will have delicious full sours for sure! I need to get some of these going too. I want to do a few bar he's of dilly beans as well c
Thanks Jeff! I have a couple quarts yet of regular dilly beans. But I might start a quart or two of fermented ones.

Reactions: jcam222
Should be great! Love me some pickles! I started a jar a few days ago with some cukes from the garden. I wanted to try to pickle them like onions. Im sure it will take a bit for them to get there, but wanted to try it!

Should be great! Love me some pickles! I started a jar a few days ago with some cukes from the garden. I wanted to try to pickle them like onions. Im sure it will take a bit for them to get there, but wanted to try it!
You fermenting them? Or just regular fridge pickles?

I've seen the full sour's at the store . Never had them or knew what was involved .
Interesting for sure and I learned something this morning .
Glad you posted this .
I just did 5 jars using Al's recipe , but I might give a jar of these a try . I guess I could use the mason jar lid bubblers ?

I've seen the full sour's at the store . Never had them or knew what was involved .
Glad you posted this .
I just did 5 jars using Al's recipe , but I might give a jar of these a try . I guess I could use the mason jar lid bubblers ?
Sure can! These natural fermented dills are what's used in all the older or trendy delis. They are tasty for sure. You can do green beans as well. I do them with dill, garlic and a few cayenne spears. Quick tip on the pickles You can throw a tea bag or two in Denver ending on container size. The tannins help keep the pickles crisp.

Reactions: chopsaw
Glad you posted this .
Yes. You can use those. Just make sure you use enough salt to get a 3.5% salinity.

Needs to be in the light or dark ? Or doesn't matter .
Just make sure you use enough salt to get a 3.5% salinity.
This is where I always get hung up . When I get it in my head it makes sense , but I don't do it enough to retain it . I know it's simple for the guys that understand it .

Needs to be in the light or dark ? Or doesn't matter .

This is where I always get hung up . When I get it in my head it makes sense , but I don't do it enough to retain it . I know it's simple for the guys that understand it .
Kept out of direct sunlight. I keep it on the kitchen counter in the corner. I use 2.5 TBS kosher. Or pickling salt. No table salt. Or salt with iodine. Per quart of filtered water.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky