Brunswick stew and question on freezing.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fxsales1959

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 17, 2019
PembrokePines, FL
So Mama finally got to make her Bruswick stew (Virginia style), She got all twisted because her usual recipe resource was down on the first part of the week with gateway issues (Tasty Kitchen). Anyway we found a recipe that was very close ( by our old folks memory). I thought it was good, but she was still a little miffed. So we had one of those huge crock pots of stew, and only two of us to eat it. So the question is.... we need to freeze some for use over the winter.
We really want about quart size quantities. We've tried the suck bag method, which is shady at best with stew. I think the price of suck containers is exorbitant , especially with the reviews some get. We also have a pantry full of lids-missing varieties of glad-ware and the like. so looking for ways to do quart-ish size containers that are freezer friendly as far as stacking and organizing.
We made our own broth with the carcass of the yardbird I smoked. I think the broth was a little watery(but I'll never say/admit/ that aloud.
TIA for recommendations.

brun stew.jpg

brun chick.jpg

Reactions: JLeonard
Use a vacuum sealer.
Put what you want in bag (leave room for expansion).
Put in freezer. Try to lay it as flat as you can, but turn open end up so none leaks out.
Take out next day and vacuum seal.

Use a vacuum sealer.
Put in freezer. Try to lay it as flat as you can, but turn open end up so none leaks out.
thanks. might have her try that.

When we freeze our sweet corn we just use freezer ziplock bags, get as much air out as possible, seal, and lay flat. That way when froze you can stand them up and store them that way... never have an issue. But if you're worried about that then after freezing, remove frozen stew and vac seal it, no worries about sucking juice into vac sealer.

Ryan

I would put the stew in a container of some sort, freeze it, remove it from the container and then vacuum seal it, put back in the freezer. We use the plastic containers you can get at wallymart and you can get them in any size.
We do this with our fresh caught Dungeness crab. Put it in a container, cover it with 2% milk, freeze and remove from container and vacuum seal, stick back in the freezer.

Reactions: JLeonard
Use a vacuum sealer.
thanks. worked well. go to be on the ball as even at A/C room temp, it starts melting fast. also really good on my big batch of pizza sauce.

Reactions: 02ebz06
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky