Overnight Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

boomcannon

Original poster
Aug 7, 2023
14lb choice brisket stuffed onto my WSM18 with absolutely no room to spare. Hickory, apple, and oak chunks. Hoping to be slicing into it around 1:00-2:00p tomorrow.

Age old question: how long does everyone here rest their briskets for? I generally do 3 hours.

Attachments

• IMG_4320.jpeg
    IMG_4320.jpeg
    161.7 KB · Views: 28
11 hours in. 181°. I accidentally slept through one of my alarms at 3:30a this morning and missed my target temp of 165° to wrap. Got her wrapped and back on the smoker around 6:00a.

I’m thinking another 3-4 hours on the cook. At this point, I can pretty much tell that this is going to turn out real decent.

Shout out to BBQ Guru and their DigiQ temperature controllers. My smoker has held at 250° +/- 3° for the first 11 hours. I also have probably another 4-6 hours of charcoal remaining which would mean I got 15-17 hours without adding fuel. Best smoker accessory purchase ever.

Attachments

• IMG_4323.jpeg
    IMG_4323.jpeg
    217.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Very disappointing cook. Flat got dried out. The rest was great, but I went rogue on my rub and wasn’t really a fan.

Very disappointing cook. Flat got dried out. The rest was great, but I went rogue on my rub and wasn’t really a fan.
Bummer! Well...as in all things, mark it up as a lesson learned. I've been there with brisket myself. I'm a salt and pepper only guy now with brisket (maybe a touch of Lawry's seasoned salt) and that's it.

I can say it honestly looked good!!

Reactions: boomcannon
One trick I learned if it's dry, vac seal it with a little tallow. When you reheat it in a hot water bath (Sous-vide) at about 150* max, it will make the brisket much more juicy.

It must be in the cards for brisket today. Mine too 4hrs longer than expected, and I'm not sure how it turned out yet. Come on 930

Hard to say, but often, dry brisket is undercooked, not overcooked. The breaking down of the connective tissue is where the moisture comes from.
Agreed. I pulled it at 205° though. Probably got up to 206-207° during rest. I’m pretty confident it was overcooked with how it sliced. The slices more crumbled than sliced, however, it was still very juicy on the point.

I think wrapping it 10° late and taking it off 2-3° late was what ruined it. Haven’t had one ruined in this fashion before.

Upsetting putting all that time into a failed product, but beans, chili, and other food I’ll make with the frozen pieces will be great. Just have to figure out ideas of what to add the brisket into.

Reactions: DougE
I added my failed brisket to my chili. Made it taste so much better.
I’m sure it did. I’m just not sure how the brisket, mixed with my tears of frustration, will taste in chili.

Worst part about screwing this up is that I know I won’t be cooking one for redemption for at least another 3 weeks. So now I have to dwell on it.

I’m sure it did. I’m just not sure how the brisket, mixed with my tears of frustration, will taste in chili.

Worst part about screwing this up is that I know I won’t be cooking one for redemption for at least another 3 weeks. So now I have to dwell on it.
Don't sweat it. We all have our screw ups from time to time. I've actually turned some of mine into some really delicious dishes, although it wasn't my intention for the cook to go in that direction.

Reactions: boomcannon
Don't sweat it. We all have our screw ups from time to time. I've actually turned some of mine into some really delicious dishes, although it wasn't my intention for the cook to go in that direction.
Lol I hear ya. Obviously I wasn’t really crying, but I was pissed. Over it now. Can’t wait for redemption.

Reactions: DougE
Pulling at 180º should have been fine. I usually do similar to ensure bark and eliminate to possibility of the flavor starting to mirror pot roast. Key point is to make totally sure the brisket has stopped cooking before putting to rest in a cooler etc. I usually let it sit open on the counter until the IT drops 5-10º before placing in a cooler with towels.

Reactions: augiedoggy
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky