Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
My brother-in-law from Pennsylvania is here visiting this week. I had a packer brisket from Kroger, one of those choice ones for $1.99/lb. they had last week, so no time like the present.

Not a lot of pics, but I trimmed and seasoned it with SPOG, rested overnight, and onto my Ok Joe with oak. After about 5 hours I started basting it with rendered beef fat...
20230802_132035[1].jpg

Made a pan of Dutch Dutch 's Wicked Baked Beans, using peaches instead of pineapple, and slid them on beside the brisket...
20230802_151333[1].jpg

Took about 12 hours to get the brisket tender and then it rested while I cooked the corn and pan fried okra with bacon and chopped onions. Everything is about ready and the natives are getting restless...
20230802_183334[1].jpg

Slice the brisket and it's time to eat...
20230802_183521[1].jpg

Give thanks...
20230802_184244[1].jpg

Dig in...
20230802_184708[1].jpg

I did not wrap the brisket, maybe should have, as this was not my best effort. The brisket was fairly lean and it got a little hard on the bottom so another thing I could've done differently is put the beans on the right side of the grate and the brisket on the left away from the heat. Food for thought for next time. Anyway, at least I have some left over to take on our fall fishing trip to Tennessee in November.

My BIL is a big Aaron Franklin fan so I made his regular BBQ sauce recipe from his 1st book and we all enjoyed that. I think next time I'd amp it up with a dose of cayenne.

This summer has been pretty busy for me, but is starting to slow down some now (as soon as I say that, the phone will start ringing...:emoji_wink:). I haven't been on here as much and really have only been cooking a little just to survive :emoji_laughing:, nothing that takes a lot of thought or time, both of which I've had very little of. But be forewarned, that might be about to change...🤣

Enough of my rambling, y'all have a great day and weekend...:emoji_grinning:

Beautiful brisket, plate and family my friend! I can eat a dump truck full of fried okra 😂. Love to see the little ones giving thanks !

Keith

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Nice job on those vittles Charles. I fully understand about time constraints. Between work, weather and honey-does. My kettles have been idle more than they've been worked.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
I think you did the BIL right on that meal! And still get a smile out of the littles saying grace. Something you dont see near enough of these days!

Jim
Thank you Jim!
Looks like a great meal. Nicely done!!
I appreciate that Bruce!
Beautiful brisket, plate and family my friend! I can eat a dump truck full of fried okra 😂. Love to see the little ones giving thanks !

Keith
Thank you Keith!! We all love okra, even the grands, and it's in full season around here right now. Most people that plant it, can't get rid of it fast enough. My wife's favorite is stewed okra and tomatoes over rice...
Nice job on those vittles Charles. I fully understand about time constraints. Between work, weather and honey-does. My kettles have been idle more than they've been worked.

Point for sure
Chris
When I retired 6+ years ago, I started fishing a lot. So I decided to get my captain's license and start a charter business with the intention of making a little pocket money doing something I love and help offset the cost. All of my business is word of mouth and referrals and now, repeat customers. I didn't retire to look for a job, but my charter business has grown almost to the point of becoming a job and I don't want that. Time to back off some.

Thank you for your compliments, Chris...
Great looking brisket. Wish I could taste it. And the whole meal looks good.
Steve, I wish that you could taste it, too. Thank you for your kind words...

Looks like a great meal and always good to spend time and break bread with family
Family time is always special and we are fortunate and blessed to be able to share that several times a week. Thank you for your comments, they are appreciated...

Reactions: chp
My apologies for being way late to this party Charles but that brisket looks amazing my friend!! Beautiful meal all around and once again, the pic of the grands is absolutely priceless. A whole lot of lessons to be learned here by a whole lot of people. Just a beautiful post buddy. Thanks for sharing and congrats on a much deserved carousel ride.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky