Osso Bucco: My First Time, Please Be Gentle (Detailed Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
About as fine a cook as I've ever seen on forum Robert, absolutely incredible; HUGE LIKE! RAY

Man that looks amazing!!!

It's so funny I just posted in a soup/casserole thread my Braised Venison Shank post which is basically the same thing with some slightly different vegetable changes and the use of venison shanks.
If you deer hunt SAVE THE SHANKS!!!! Lots of people throw them away and that is sad because of how amazing these braised shank dishes are. The shanks may now be my favorite part of the deer because of this haha.

Here is my post if you are interested in a similar dish you can use beef, lamb, or your venison shanks with :)

full-png.png

Reactions: indaswamp
Love this! Looks really delicious, Robert. I cook chuck roast close to your osso bucco recipe (garlic, mirepoix, red wine, tomato paste, BTB, herbs) but I hadn't thought to try it with the shanks in the freezer! Might have to do that this weekend.

That looks fantastic Robert!

Thanks so much Jim. It looked kinda nasty up till the plated shot. I had my doubts that it'd be worth posting.

Man yeah! That is a great looking meal. Home Place is only like 45 min from my house. Got a stretch of days off next week. May have to road trip down there

Whoa Jim!! If I lived that close I'd be there every week. If you do make it, I highly recommend trying this out. Knowing your tastes in food I guarantee you'll love this.

Wow! This dish looks absolutely beautiful! Usually, I am not a breakfast guy and not really hungry in the mornings but I am salivating right now (it's 5:40 a.m. and I am in the office) and I am ready for breakfast, lunch and dinner!!! Great job, Robert and thank you for detailed process and the recipe!

What can I say but "thank you". That's about the highest compliment I've ever had here. Very happy you enjoyed the thread.

Robert

Reactions: JLeonard
Holy Cow Batman! Does that that good. Nice Robert.

Appreciate it Brian. You too have been turning out some great stuff recently. I just wanna know when you're going back to the brewery with another pan of that crawfish bread :emoji_laughing:

Looks fantastic Robert! It’s a classic gourmet meal that I’ve never actually had. Funny enough I’ve got veal osso buco in my Wildfork cart from last nights pondering meals. A++ meal as usual friend.

Thanks so much Jeff. I can only imagine what you'll come up with when you make this. It's gonna be amazing I;m sure. The flavors for this come together to create a depth and richness that's beyond words.

When you say silky smooth that's about the only way to describe the texture of Shanks when they render down all of that bone marrow and collagen! It Coats your tongue with flavor!

Whew...thank you for the kind words and the reassurance. I thought I might be going off the deep end with my description but it was the only way I could describe it.

Robert

WOW, Robert!! That's another one out of the park. I haven't even seen beef shank in a long, long time, had actually forgotten about it. Simply outstanding...

If I am at an Italian restaurant and they have Osso Bucco there is no choice for me. Yours looks incredible. I now have to go make some. There are also other things one can have with it, risotto or polenta are both good. Osso Bucco is peasant food so potatoes is a great choice.

Inspired! Thank you.

Never would have guessed that was your first go around Robert! Looks phenomenal my friend!

I've had that before. And it is amazing. Yours looks exactly like it. A delicious looking meal Robert!

Appreciate it Steve. Never having had it before I had no idea what to expect. Nick to know I kinda got it right :emoji_wink:

Hell Yeah Robert! Nothing compares to the depth of flavor from a shank!

You are 100% correct as usual Keith. Everything I read said that but f course you gotta try it to full believe it.

Sounds and looks amazing, I could see me sitting down to a plate of that ( no disrespect but I would have to have reg. potatoes , Too much garlic for me ) but Mona would be all over that also

Thanks so much David...and no offense (or disrespect) taken. Some folks just don't do garlic like we do. Around here it goes on everything. Guess you'll have to stay home next time I make it and send Mona down for dinner....or I could just toss a burger in the microwave for you :emoji_laughing: Seriously, I appreciate the kind words.

Robert

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Robert that is just plain awesome! That's a plateful of heaven! I can only imagine how good it was and what your house smelled like when you made it.

Thank you Ryan!! You aren't kidding buddy. The aroma coming off that pot was fantastic. Really made us look forward to sitting down and eating.

Great write up Robert and no doubt VERY tasty! Going to bookmark this for sure. Note to consider for next time: a simple roux does a great job thickening and it adds wonderful flavor to gravy (ie the butter part).

Very much appreciate it Matt. I kinda did do what you suggested but left it out of the dialog. I added a couple T's of butter before starting to sift the flour in. I guess it was kinda like a reverse roux.

That looks amazing Robert! This one was on my bucket list to make and then for some reason I stopped seeing the shanks sold in my grocery store, so I guess I forgot about it.

Thank you Joe. After all that we have shared back and forth, I can guarantee that it you make this, it'll become a regular staple around your house. It took a lot of time start to finish but it was actually a very easy meal to make and a complete flavor bomb.

Robert

Reactions: schlotz
Looks great Robert and a superb write up. I always order this if I see it on the menu and have made it only once. Going to have to do it again now that I have a dutch oven.

Very much appreciate it. You don't need a Dutch oven to make this though. That is just my pot of choice for long, slow cooks due to the even temps it develops throughout.

That looks great.

Its my favorite meal at my favorite restaurant, expect they use pork.

Thank you Nate. I appreciate it.

That looks outstanding Robert! I can just imagine the scent and flavor. Nice work buddy.

Thanks my friend!! I know that this is one that you'd go totally bonkers over. Ya really need to give it a shot. You won't be disappointed.

Robert

I thought Osso Bucco was a mafia hit man ...

He was until I turned him into dinner :emoji_laughing:

Wow! I've never been this far Robert. Looks & sounds delicious

Glad to know I'm not the only ne who had never seen it. glad I found it though.

Wow! That looks incredible, big points for that meal! You got me motivated, the smell had to be incredible and the flavor…..oh man! Book marked for sure, thank you the the inspiration and the recipe!

Jed, I cannot tell you how much I appreciate the accolades. you sir have turned out some absolutely amazing looking...and inspirational meals of late. To read this coming from you is about the highest compliment I could get. Thank you!!

Robert

• Haha
Reactions: texomakid
About as fine a cook as I've ever seen on forum Robert, absolutely incredible; HUGE LIKE! RAY

Wow my friend, that's one heck of a compliment, especially based on the fact that this is an Italian dish. Thanks so much for the kind words and the like.

Man that looks amazing!!!

It's so funny I just posted in a soup/casserole thread my Braised Venison Shank post which is basically the same thing with some slightly different vegetable changes and the use of venison shanks.

Very much appreciate the kind words. Thanks so much for posting the link to your thread. I must have missed it but plan to go check it out here very shortly.

Love this! Looks really delicious, Robert. I cook chuck roast close to your osso bucco recipe (garlic, mirepoix, red wine, tomato paste, BTB, herbs) but I hadn't thought to try it with the shanks in the freezer! Might have to do that this weekend.

Thank you Mariko!! I could see this being excellent with chick but the difference is the marrow and collagen you get with the bine in the shank. It makes a HUGE difference in flavor and texture. If you decide to give it a go please let us know how it turns out.

Robert

Reactions: Omnivore and tallbm
You completely nailed that Osso Bucco. Thanks for the process in pictures.

You are more than welcome Sven and thank you for the kind words.

WOW, Robert!! That's another one out of the park. I haven't even seen beef shank in a long, long time, had actually forgotten about it. Simply outstanding...

Very much appreciate it Charles. If you find the shanks and plan to do this you better get several of them for your brood. They cook down a lot but man are they worth it!! The one I started with was 2.14 pounds and Tracy and I pretty much destroyed it.

Very nicely done. I have done version similar to tallbm tallbm tallbm tallbm with venison shank. Delicious. . .

Thank you!! I missed his thread but plan to go take a look at it shortly. Appreciate the kind words.

Robert

If I am at an Italian restaurant and they have Osso Bucco there is no choice for me. Yours looks incredible. I now have to go make some. There are also other things one can have with it, risotto or polenta are both good. Osso Bucco is peasant food so potatoes is a great choice.

Inspired! Thank you.

Thanks so much. I appreciate the accolades and am thrilled to have inspired. I did not go back and check but I think the other serving options are included at the end of the recipe. Thank you for mentioning them so others can see different ways to put this meal together.

Looks delicious Robert. They make some pretty tasty pulled beef as well. Nice work bud

Hmmmm...had not thought about that but I bet the pulled beef would be outstanding cooking in all that collagen and marrow....then mixing the sauce into the pulled meat. That would be a winner my friend. Thank you for the kind words.

Never would have guessed that was your first go around Robert! Looks phenomenal my friend!

Appreciate it!! Yes, this was my first go around with it. A few days prior to making this I'd never even heard of it. I know it now though and will be checking to see if I can source it through the wholesale side of CPB. I'd have to buy a bunch of it but that's just fine with me :emoji_wink:

Robert

Thanks so much David...and no offense (or disrespect) taken. Some folks just don't do garlic like we do. Around here it goes on everything. Guess you'll have to stay home next time I make it and send Mona down for dinner....or I could just toss a burger in the microwave for you :emoji_laughing: Seriously, I appreciate the kind words.

Ha ha , sounds good Robert , I don't mind cooking with Garlic ,but don't really care for it as 1 of the main ingrediants. as in Honey garlic wings, or Garlic bread. just too strong for me . But I use it in lots of things.
And I'm good with a burger, maybe not the microwave unless done already on the Q

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky