Not enough smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rpm630

Original poster
Apr 4, 2020
Illinois
Hey guys,
I completed my 3rd smoke on my WSM yesterday. 6 pound butt at 225-250 with hickory and Apple wood. My temp was very consistent and I really only had to touch the bottom vents after getting my meat on once. After IT hit about 130/140 I noticed that I was not getting that thin blue smoke you want to see. Temp was good, but no smoke. I added a couple more chunks of wood and that didn’t really help. I finished the butt and bark and pull apart went great but it was definitely missing the Smokey flavor. Why!?
I did have the water pan about half full so not sure if I created too much steam or what?

does anyone have any input that can help me out?

Attachments

• 31B8E9B1-68C8-450B-B5B1-FEEC2D2D859F.jpeg
    31B8E9B1-68C8-450B-B5B1-FEEC2D2D859F.jpeg
    453.6 KB · Views: 26
First of all the visual result is fantastic!! Is it just you who said the smoke taste wasn’t there or others too? I ask because often when you are smoking meat the day of you kinda go nose blind to the smoke taste. Taste it way more next day. As to why you weren’t seeing smoke I am not sure. How did you position the wood? Did the wood burn ultimately? How big were the chunks?

looks real good from here too. What was you starting method? For a butt I am guess it took a while. couple tips;
  • I would minion method the coals for sure.
  • Bury some wood in the unlit coals. I usually put some buried and some on top.
  • Ditch the water. Foil the pan and run it dry. coals last way longer.
thats about all I can think of right now.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
I did the minion method but didn’t throw the wood on until I was at 225. I’ll try putting chunks under unlit coals as well next time.

If there was flame coming off of the wood chunks, flame consumes smoke.... Also, meat that has the fat melting from being on the heat for a long time, and a higher temperature, the smoke won't penetrate the fat....
Meat absorbs smoke best when the surface is "dry" and has a pellicle formed, at temps 70-110F...

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky