Not enough Prague powder #1

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

old smokey nj

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 3, 2016
Medford Lakes, NJ
Hello all. I started making a batch of "BBBB", Bears Buck Board Bacon, and just realized I didn't use enough cure. I did it 2 nights ago. In loose vac sealed bags in fridge. I have my original calculation, so I can figure out how much more is needed. Is it safe to add to bags? Also, is there a calculator to make this easier? I've done this before but not often enough to remember.

Yes you can add the remaining cure. All will equalize by the end. Try the Cure Calculator below...JJ

Reactions: old smokey nj
I did use cure #1, but would think any advice that anyone has regarding these 2 cures could shed some insight on this as it can be dangerous

Yes I got off subject a bit. I used cure 1, and apparently used wrong formula. A lot of misleading info out on web. JJ sent correct calculator so I'm good. But a lot of info out there comparing cure 1 to TC. Just tying to assist those who may be using one or the other, as miscalculations can possibly be bad

Heads up old smokey nj old smokey nj , that calculator is for Cure #1, not TQ!
If you used Tender Quick, that calculator is not for you.

Good catch! I too saw it was a Bear Recipe, but the question was for " Cure ". My brain went to Cure #1 and Diggy's calculator, ignoring we might be talking TQ. Gettin' Old I guess....JJ

As long as it's been in the refer and not already stinking, you can proceed...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky