First time using Prague Powder #1

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Pit pixie

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 30, 2022
Southampton England 🇬🇧
Hi All,

I am going to be curing some pork belly this evening.
I have my Prague powder, I am wondering when using the main salt, what can use instead of kosher salt?
Would ground sea salt be OK or course sea salt?

I have in the past use a premixed Prague and salt mixture but I wanted to do it myself this time, but have become stuck so any advise would be appreciated.

Thank you
IMG-20230703-WA0031.jpeg

I'm certain you're going to get a lot of replies to this, but here's my $.02.... I weigh everything on a trustable kitchen scale when doing anything with cure #1 and salt. The texture of the salt has no bearing on weight so coarse or fine is irrelevant, but as noboundaries noboundaries said, no iodine in the salt!

That said, when weighing salt and cure I do it all by percentage of the weight of the meat I'm curing. Generally for bacon 1.5% salt and .25% cure #1 or as you say Prague powder. Also, if you're doing a wet cure, the weight of the liquid factors into the total weight.

It's easy, but you have to pay strict attention when using Prague powder. To much salt will make the meat inedible but too much Prague powder will at some point be dangerous to you.

Questions? Ask. Lotsa folks here more than capable of answering them with safety in mind.

Hi All,

I am going to be curing some pork belly this evening.
I have my Prague powder, I am wondering when using the main salt, what can use instead of kosher salt?
Would ground sea salt be OK or course sea salt?

I have in the past use a premixed Prague and salt mixture but I wanted to do it myself this time, but have become stuck so any advise would be appreciated.

Thank you View attachment 669410
I think the guys got you sorted out pretty well.

I like a 1.65% of salt personally. It's never too salty this way with anything I make. If you like more salt (many do with bacon) then feel free to increase some. Or if you like less, decrease.

You are going to LOVE having full control over your flavor by doing cure#1 and salt and other seasonings separately. Welcome to the club of complete curing control :D

Any question on it feel free to ask.

Sorry to hi-jack your thread pixie, but I have a question.

Brian, looking at DiggingDogFarms calculator his % of cure #1 is 6.25, and yours is .25%. When I run your numbers thru his calculator the results are similar, but they are a little different. I don't think it's enough to be dangerous. I was just curious as I'm going to be starting the process this weekend, and I want to get goof up. Also the DDF calculator won't allow me to change the %cure.

Chris

That 6.25 percent is the percent of sodium nitrite that is in cure#1 which is mostly salt. The .25% is the amount of cure #1 that most people use for sausage and bacon and what not per the weight of the meat and fat. Does that make sense? No one actually uses pure sodium nitrite at least at home. Pure sodium nitrite is extremely dangerous. Products like cure #1 make it safer.

Thanks Dustin, that makes sense.

Chris

Sorry to hi-jack your thread pixie, but I have a question.

Brian, looking at DiggingDogFarms calculator his % of cure #1 is 6.25, and yours is .25%. When I run your numbers thru his calculator the results are similar, but they are a little different. I don't think it's enough to be dangerous. I was just curious as I'm going to be starting the process this weekend, and I want to get goof up. Also the DDF calculator won't allow me to change the %cure.

Chris
Chris, the 6.25% is the amount of nitrite present in cure #1 by volume and is standardized there in the USA, it’s different in other countries sometimes. The reason that the DDF calculator is set on .25% is because that is the application rate to meat weight of cure #1 to impart 156ppm nitrite. This is the maximum allowed in ground meats like sausage, but also works well on whole muscle as well as in brines, it’s a safe and effective application rate, so that .25% number never changes. Feel free to reach out if you have questions on your upcoming project.

Eric.

Reactions: gmc2003
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky