Not mammy's green bean casserole

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hijack73

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Aug 9, 2020
SC, just a smidge from Charlotte
So - the prettier half found this on the interwebs. I was skeptical. I have made green bean casserole with homemade mushroom sauce rather than the canned quite a few times, but IMO green bean casserole has always needed mushrooms. Then I made this - and realized there is more than one way to skin a cat.

1 lb bacon
6 cups green beans
3 T a/p flour
12 oz milk
one medium onion
8 oz chopped/diced/grated cheddar
1 6oz can fried onions
1/4 tsp garlic powder (I used more)
salt and pepper to taste

Dice and fry the bacon until desired doneness achieved. I went fairly well done. Remove the bacon bits, add 1 medium diced onion (I used a red) and sauté until translucent. Add in the flour and cook for about 30 seconds. Stir in the milk and heat until thickened. Remove from heat, add the cheese and garlic powder/s&p, stir until incorporated.

Mix in the green beans and bacon bits, pour into baking dish. Top with the can of fried onions and let 'er rip at 350 for about 30 minutes.

This was good. For the next batch I want to add mushrooms to the mix. That way you get more than just the bacon and cheese food groups.

That does sound good, but like you, I love the mushrooms in it.

Now, please tease us with some pictures! (so says the guy that just posted something without pictures) :emoji_laughing:

So - the prettier half found this on the interwebs. I was skeptical. I have made green bean casserole with homemade mushroom sauce rather than the canned quite a few times, but IMO green bean casserole has always needed mushrooms. Then I made this - and realized there is more than one way to skin a cat.

1 lb bacon
6 cups green beans
3 T a/p flour
12 oz milk
one medium onion
8 oz chopped/diced/grated cheddar
1 6oz can fried onions
1/4 tsp garlic powder (I used more)
salt and pepper to taste

Dice and fry the bacon until desired doneness achieved. I went fairly well done. Remove the bacon bits, add 1 medium diced onion (I used a red) and sauté until translucent. Add in the flour and cook for about 30 seconds. Stir in the milk and heat until thickened. Remove from heat, add the cheese and garlic powder/s&p, stir until incorporated.

Mix in the green beans and bacon bits, pour into baking dish. Top with the can of fried onions and let 'er rip at 350 for about 30 minutes.

This was good. For the next batch I want to add mushrooms to the mix. That way you get more than just the bacon and cheese food groups.
It sounds great, but I am with you, it is not Green Bean Casserole (or Green Bean Hotdish) with out the mushrooms.

- Jason

Next one I make I'll do pics. This is a really good take on a Campbell's classic.

Thing I like so much about green beans is their versatility. Sometimes I eat leftover stroganoff on top of them. It's like amped up green bean casserole.

Reactions: chilerelleno
I'd suggest trying different brands of green beans to make your recipe as good as you can.
Some green beans are as appetizing as green twigs and home canned Kentucky Wonders are heavenly. Bush's used to sell acceptable canned beans but they changed something. It may be a seasonal thing but they went from good to garbage overnight.
Currently I like the Italian style beans from Allens or Margaret Holmes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky