First time using Prague Powder #1

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Chris, the 6.25% is the amount of nitrite present in cure #1 by volume and is standardized there in the USA, it’s different in other countries sometimes. The reason that the DDF calculator is set on .25% is because that is the application rate to meat weight of cure #1 to impart 156ppm nitrite. This is the maximum allowed in ground meats like sausage, but also works well on whole muscle as well as in brines, it’s a safe and effective application rate, so that .25% number never changes. Feel free to reach out if you have questions on your upcoming project.

Eric.
Thanks Eric, I have one more question. My cure #1 is a couple of years old. It's sealed and has been kept in a cabinet away from sunlight and excessive temperature swings. I'm pretty sure it's still safe and as potent as it was when I bought it, but I just want to make sure.

Chris

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Thanks Eric, I have one more question. My cure #1 is a couple of years old. It's sealed and has been kept in a cabinet away from sunlight and excessive temperature swings. I'm pretty sure it's still safe and as potent as it was when I bought it, but I just want to make sure.

Chris
Yes, kept that way cure #1 is good for years and years. I had some that was exposed to excess sun light and it really faded in pink color, almost to white, but still cured meat perfectly. What you have though is GTG.

Reactions: gmc2003
Yes, kept that way cure #1 is good for years and years. I had some that was exposed to excess sun light and it really faded in pink color, almost to white, but still cured meat perfectly. What you have though is GTG.
Appreciate it Eric, and again sorry for the hi-jack pixie

Chris

Hi All,

I am going to be curing some pork belly this evening.
I have my Prague powder, I am wondering when using the main salt, what can use instead of kosher salt?
Would ground sea salt be OK or course sea salt?

I have in the past use a premixed Prague and salt mixture but I wanted to do it myself this time, but have become stuck so any advise would be appreciated.

Thank you View attachment 669410
Use any pure salt. No iodine added. This can be kosher, canning and pickling, sea, or plain table salt, just no additives.
That said, I prefer granulated sea salt. The grain size mixes well with the cure salt and stays mixed. Where as the kosher salt wants to separate from the cure salt.

Reactions: Pit pixie and DougE
Use any pure salt. No iodine added. This can be kosher, canning and pickling, sea, or plain table salt, just no additives.
That said, I prefer granulated sea salt. The grain size mixes well with the cure salt and stays mixed. Where as the kosher salt wants to separate from the cure salt.
i got this
1689600864588.png

i googled it and found the below
1689601037705.png

however i still have not done my bacon.

i am sure i read somewhere that the flakes will break down easier than grains hence why i went with the flakes

I have looked at both the excel sheet and the diggdogfarm link and I am getting two different weights for the salt to use. I am confused as the is a 10gram difference. Pic below
Screenshot_20230805_152718_Chrome.jpg
20230805_152738.jpg

I have looked at both the excel sheet and the diggdogfarm link and I am getting two different weights for the salt to use. I am confused as the is a 10gram difference. Pic below View attachment 672652View attachment 672653
The spreadsheet is set up for a 2% salt level. You can change the salt % on personal preference. If you notice the digging farms is defaulted to 2%.

Reactions: Pit pixie
Yeah that diggingdog calculator confuses people On salt percentage.
I did wonder that, as I added them up and then they match.
Thank you so much

I run my own math, it’s easy, but I like 1.5% salt with .25% cure #1 which makes all in a 1.75% salt. If I didn’t think about that extra salt in the cure and just plugged in 1.5% salt in the DD calculator it would give me salt quantity for 1.25% and .25% cure, all in 1.5% total salt. You just need to understand to add the cure to the salt number for total salt. If i plug in 1.75% salt in the calculator I would get the numbers I want for 1.5% salt and .25% cure #1.

Reactions: tallbm
Looks like you will have some delicious bacon. The flavor will be better or more rounded at day 10-12 but you can try that next time. I’m ready to see that slab smoked. Nice work.

Reactions: Pit pixie
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky