No more Sweet Baby Ray's for me!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Aside from making my own, I do like the G Hughes sauces (the Jamaican Jerk is good, low heat) I also like the Salt Lick Honey Pecan BBQ Sauce it is low in sugar, but you would never know it.

- Jason

I've started a recipe this morning I put together that includes caramelized red onion with chopped bacon, an apple cider with chopped apple and cinnamon stick reduction, fire-roasted Roma tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and 11 spices. It is still cooking, and I haven't added any molasses, honey, ACV, and Bourbon yet. My wife tasted what I've got so far and exclaimed, "Forget SBR'S! This is awesome!"

We'll see how it tastes after I add the rest of the ingredients later in the cook.

There's room for improvement, but this is the best bbq sauce I've attempted to make by a mile. Next time a little more molasses. I did not add Bourbon or liquid smoke, so I'll play with those next time. I only added 1/3 cup ACV. Cooked it 2 hours. It could have gone another hour.

Still, it is a great tasting sauce. The apple cider and chopped apple reduction was the key ingredient for sweetness. Made 6 cups, more than I expected. It is browner than the picture shows.

Oh, and my wife says "We can't call it SBR'S, so I'll call it (I can't believe I'm gonna post this), Handsome Ray's."

Insert groan here.

20231230_145318.jpg

Here's the recipe anyone can play with if desired.

Ray's Homemade BBQ Sauce

This is s total experiment to replace Sweet Baby Ray's HFCS and sugar packed commercial bbq sauce.

There is no need to peel the apple or tomatoes because everything will be blended once cooked.

The 2-hour cook breaks down the structure of the chopped apple, onions, tomatoes, and bacon. 3 hours would be better.

Ingredients
1 red apple, cored and chopped
2 cups fresh apple cider
1 cinnamon stick

2 strips thick cut bacon, chopped
1 sweet red onion, chopped

15 oz can diced tomatoes, drained, or
4 Roma tomatoes, fire-roasted (broiler or BBQ)
8 oz tomato sauce
6 oz tomato paste

1 tsp granulated garlic
½ tsp smoked paprika or regular paprika
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp ground cloves
¼ tsp onion powder
¼ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
¼ tsp ground ginger
⅛ tsp chili powder
⅛ tsp ground mustard
⅛ tsp ground Ceylon cinnamon

⅓ cup unsulphured molasses
¼ cup honey
⅓ cup Apple Cider Vinegar
2 tsp hickory flavored liquid smoke (optional)
⅓ cup bourbon (optional)

Directions
Mix the spices, cover, and set aside.

Drain the canned tomatoes and set aside (if using). Or fire-roast the tomatoes.

Place 2 cups of fresh apple cider, the chopped apple, and the cinnamon stick in a saucepan and simmer uncovered on medium-low to medium heat until reduced by ⅔’s, about 30-60 minutes. Stir occasionally.

While the cider is simmering, place the chopped bacon in a separate saucepan over medium heat. Sauté until the fat starts to render and it gets a little foamy.

Add the onion. Add butter if more fat is needed. Reduce heat to medium-low and sauté until caramelized, about 20 minutes.

Remove the cinnamon stick and add the apple and cider reduction to the caramelized onions and bacon.

Add the fire-roasted tomatoes. Smash.

Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, and spices. Stir to mix.

Simmer uncovered on lowest heat for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

Add the molasses, honey, ACV, and any optional ingredients. Stir to mix. Taste to add more of any of those three.

Simmer for another hour or two, stirring occasionally.

Allow to cool for 30 minutes, then place in the blender. Blend on “soup” setting, or high for 2 minutes.

Place in a sterilized jar, cool, and refrigerate.

Last edited:
For a bought sauce, Open Pit works for me, it doesn't taste good right out of the bottle, but it's pretty good when heated on meat or in a sauce pan....

Reactions: Fueling Around
If you have never made a BBQ sauce out of Balsamic vinegar you need to try it, I don't make it very often but it is great, most folks have never tried it but never found anybody that didn't like it

We use it a lot, primarily because some of the family is allergic to garlic and onion. Not to say this isn't in SBR (i'm sure it is on some level) but those that are allergic have found any reaction to it minimal if non at all.

I'm always on the lookout for other store bought brands that do not have or have very little garlic and onion in them. Same with rubs.

Reactions: HalfSmoked
SBR's has always been too sweet for me. I rarely use store-bought, as I make my own. The sweetness in mine comes from Mexican Coca-Cola and maple sugar. But it's well balanced by organic apple cider vinegar and other savories & spices.

There is a no sugar added version now.

Also I love Rib Rack BBQ sauce. No HFCS added.

Stubbs and Jim Beam are the same way and both are pretty good.

IMG_8590.jpeg
IMG_8591.jpeg
IMG_8423.png

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky