First Batch With My Stuffer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I've yet to stuff on my own. So far I've had my 11y/o son measuring out the spices and running the stuffer while I control the casing and stuff amount. The last batch of brats I did, I had my wife run the stuffer since my son really didn't want to do sausages that day. One day I'm sure I'll end up doing it all on my own, but for now, I certainly appreciate the help. Now if I could only get someone else to wash the damn grinder and stuffer! That's the part I hate the most.

Great looking links.

Reactions: mr_whipple
Great looking first batch. I'm sure they tasted as good or better then they looked. 2yrs ago I got into sausage making. First batch of Italian Sausage I put together kind of threw me for a loop. I copied a recipe from somewhere into my sausage making log. Mixed everything up, stuffed it into links and then into the fridge. The next morning I fried some up for breakfast before vacuum packing the rest. That first bite was an experience. Some of the WORST food I have ever tasted. I was floored and dumbfounded. Two things I took from this experience. 1.) Re-Read the recipe you copy at least once. Twice or three times is better. You will pick up on things you may have forgot or overlooked, important things like SALT!! 2.) Always fry up a test patty BEFORE stuffing or packaging. This will allow you to correct any mistakes and also "tweak" your final product. Congratulations again on your first batch. Now just keep it going.

Long time ago I decided I was gonna make sausage, and oh boy have I been procrastinating.

Hopefully soon my new stuffer will be here and I can join you, maybe sooner than 3 years, though...🤣. Don't know if LEM is just that far behind or what. I've got the tracking info, but every time I check it, it says my package is on the way, but USPS says they're awaiting the item. Finally this morning, my credit card was charged after 1½ weeks since I placed my order, but USPS is still awaiting the item...

Hopefully soon my new stuffer will be here and I can join you, maybe sooner than 3 years, though...🤣. Don't know if LEM is just that far behind or what. I've got the tracking info, but every time I check it, it says my package is on the way, but USPS says they're awaiting the item. Finally this morning, my credit card was charged after 1½ weeks since I placed my order, but USPS is still awaiting the item...
Charles, What size stuffer did you purchase?

LEM 5 lb.
Yep, I have the same. You will love it. After a few times of making sausage I was thinking I should have gone bigger. But I realized that I only make it from Fall to Spring and just a few batches. If you started out with the stuffing attachment for a grinder and then went to this you will wonder why it took so long to switch. Lots of fun. Enjoy

Yep, I have the same. You will love it. After a few times of making sausage I was thinking I should have gone bigger. But I realized that I only make it from Fall to Spring and just a few batches. If you started out with the stuffing attachment for a grinder and then went to this you will wonder why it took so long to switch. Lots of fun. Enjoy
I'm just getting started. I bought the #8 Big Bite grinder about a few weeks ago on their Black Friday sale and it has sat unused waiting on the stuffer. I haven't even washed it, yet. After reading everyone saying the same thing about a dedicated stuffer, I decided to take the advice and order one. My Christmas presents to myself...😃

Great looking first batch. I'm sure they tasted as good or better then they looked. 2yrs ago I got into sausage making. First batch of Italian Sausage I put together kind of threw me for a loop. I copied a recipe from somewhere into my sausage making log. Mixed everything up, stuffed it into links and then into the fridge. The next morning I fried some up for breakfast before vacuum packing the rest. That first bite was an experience. Some of the WORST food I have ever tasted. I was floored and dumbfounded. Two things I took from this experience. 1.) Re-Read the recipe you copy at least once. Twice or three times is better. You will pick up on things you may have forgot or overlooked, important things like SALT!! 2.) Always fry up a test patty BEFORE stuffing or packaging. This will allow you to correct any mistakes and also "tweak" your final product. Congratulations again on your first batch. Now just keep it going.
Thanks! I have a system to keep mistakes to a minimum. I write everything down on a small yellow legal pad. Total weight, percentages and math are double checked before hitting the legal pad, then I load it into a simple spreadsheet that also rechecks the math. When each ingredient is weighed and added I physically check mark the sheet and move the particular ingredient out of the work area in the kitchen. Volumetric things seem to trip me up. That and I'm pretty sure a cocktail was somewhere nearby.

Bad time of year for packages... Fingers crossed!

After reading everyone saying the same thing about a dedicated stuffer, I decided to take the advice and order one.
Smart.....

When each ingredient is weighed and added I physically check mark the sheet and move the particular ingredient out of the work area in the kitchen.
Good thinking. I do the same. I also use a butter knife for alignment on the pad so I do not read the wrong weight for each spice....

Well low and behold, my stuffer arrived today, but the tracking says that USPS is still waiting on the package...🙄. Whatever, I have it now. Now to order some casings and some seasonings and soon I'll be in action. Watch out mr_whipple mr_whipple 😃
Nice!! I'll watch out alright...for all the kick a$$ sausage you're about to make!

PB's on sale at local meat market for $1.59 a lb until Sunday. Last year I went bat $h!t crazy when they were .99 a lb. Probably will never see those prices again. Never the less, the temp is finally cold enough outside to set my ground meat out at night. I've also got my bad a$$ grinder that goes through meat like a hot knife through butter. Freezer is empty of breakfast sausage, summer sausage, beef snack sticks, Italian Sausage, bratwurst and so on. If I find a nice price on a brisket I'd like to grind up some burger. Here's to wishing everyone a safe and joyous Holiday Season.

Reactions: nlife
Well low and behold, my stuffer arrived today, but the tracking says that USPS is still waiting on the package...🙄. Whatever, I have it now. Now to order some casings and some seasonings and soon I'll be in action. Watch out mr_whipple mr_whipple 😃

I had a similar issue with the meat grinder I ordered. I ordered it from Bed Bath and Beyond Canada, but it turns out that the grinder was actually way down in Nashville. It made its way up to the border crossing and into Ontario and kept giving me a similar message as you got. Turns out that their system didn't automatically update BB&B with the new tracking number for my side of the border.

I called the support line and they sent me the new tracking number while I was on the phone. I received my grinder shortly after. I was more concerned about it being delivered when I wasn't home and have some porch pirate walk off with my package. Damn delivery company just drops it out in the open if no one is home to accept it.

Glad to hear it worked out in the end and now the fun begins!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky