newbie needs help picking a smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bassinhunter

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
i think i want a gas or elctric smoker mostly because i have a small yard with no room for a mess. what do u guys recommend as far as brands and models go?

My experience is limited but I have a GOSM widebody (propane) and I really like it. It took a little getting used to and a few mods (but I think all the propane smokers need a few mods) but it is working very well. It is big enough I can fit 2 slabs of ribs (St Louis cut) on each rack. A friend of mine has a Master Forge and he likes it also but it isn't very wide and he has to cut his ribs in half to fit. Two other friends just bought the Masterbuilt XL propane, so far they like it but have only used a couple of times. I think they are all pretty good it's just up to you to get to know it and mod it to make it efficient. So that's my experience, I hope it helps.

I read a lot on here about the Masterbuilt Electrics (MES) and sound like they are really good, I've even been tossing the idea around about getting one.

Masterbuilt Electric Smoker 40" and AMNPS. You can smoke anything because of the size and with the Pellet Smoker you can smoke at any temp between Ambient Outdoor and 275*F over the course of 10 hours. Total Set it and Forget it!...JJ

I have to agree with JJ.  I love mine and i don't have to go to the store to fill up on electricity.  I love my old wood and coal smoker, but the MES & AMPS is so hassle free.

have to throw my  $.02 worth in. I personally would go with a GMG  pellet smoker and u can grill on it as well. Plug it in ,fill the hopper and set it and forget it.

Ok so I've narrowed it down to the 40" mes or a traeger.  My buddy keeps telling me to get a traeger....any thoughts? Pros and Cons of both?

As a beginner myself, I bought a Masterbuilt Cookmaster from Fleet Farm.  It is listed on the website for $119, but routinely goes on sale for $99.  I've been very happy with mine, and I think I'll get a lot of years of use out of it.  I was skeptical at first about its size because I thought it would be too small, but it has been able to handle everything I've put into it so far.  My rule of thumb for any new endeavor is to start small and work your way up.  I know several guys who spent $500 or more on theirs just to let them sit in the garage and only use it once or twice a year.  I've been using mine a couple times a month since I got it in January, and it's been incredibly easy and fun to use.  Here is the link to the Fleet Farm website....Not sure where you live, but if you go to the Masterbuilt website, they might be able find a retailer in your area if you aren't close to a Fleet Farm:

http://www.fleetfarm.com/catalog/pr...asterbuilt-cookmaster-propane-smoker-20050511

thatnk for the help ended up gettin a 40" mes with the remote and meat probe and im glad i did. bought the amazin smoker and havent used it. thanks for everyones input

I am looking at three smokers right now. All have pros and cons. I need some advice.

The Bass Pro Shops website lists the Masterbuilt Extra Wide $179.97 with free shipping.

Gander Mountain has the Camp Chef 24" Smoke Vault for$299. I should be able to pick it up locally I would hope.

Then I found the Smoke Hollow 44" for $153 from what I can guess is a company based inChina. Shipping is still only $40 or so. http://ba.audiogoshop.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=8563&offer_id=B006FU06M6 .

There seems to be three versions of this company.

http://www.google.com/search?q=port....,cf.osb&fp=857665658fb70169&biw=1024&bih=672

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky