Im looking to put some ribs on the smoker.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scsmoker843

Original poster
Dec 27, 2023
Looking to do some ribs I think I'm do pork,which I love beef as well. What is a good rack to purchase in the grocery store that smokes good. Thanks guys (newbie)

Reactions: JLeonard
St Louis, or full spares will work for you. There are a LOT of different ways to go about making them. Some foil and others do not.

Low and slow, watch for bone pull back, and do the bend test to check tenderness.

Ask questions as you go along if you want.

Reactions: clifish
Those are spare ribs that have been cut down and trimmed. Lots of cooks on here to guide you. Some wrap some dont.

Jim

Now you got me going to Kroger when I get off.....Craving some ribs for tomorrow!

Jim

No totally different cut, Baby backs take a little less time and might not be as forgiving.
Gotcha so first time I should do st Louis. Rub down with mustard and my dry rub seasoning? How long should I leave in my MES?

5-6 hours or 200-205 , I prefer spare ribs as they charge more to give you less meat, your choice , I run my MES wide open and keep the door closed, keep the chip box or pellet tube running for a few hours

Gotcha so first time I should do st Louis. Rub down with mustard and my dry rub seasoning? How long should I leave in my MES?
depends on temp, I would look at the thread that JLeonard JLeonard posted above and follow what crankybuzzard crankybuzzard mentioned about when done. Some do the 3-2-1 method which is 3 hours unwrapped, 2 hours wrapped in foil with some liquid, sauce (if wanted) and finish for one hour unwrapped. You also have to take into consideration how you prefer them when done. For me I like fall off the bone so that is longer and finish temp of roughly 205. Do less time and finish temp if you like a small tug off the bone bite.

Lately for baby back and STL ribs at 225* I’ve been going around 4 hours uncovered then sauce about a half hour until they hit around 190*. It if I wrap I’ll only do 2 hours unwrapped, wrap for 2 then uncover and watch temp and try to sauce for a half hour. But like crankybuzzard crankybuzzard said I look for the meat to pull back in the bones and gives you a pretty good indication of how done they are!

Reactions: clifish
5-6 hours or 200-205 , I prefer spare ribs as they charge more to give you less meat, your choice , I run my MES wide open and keep the door closed, keep the chip box or pellet tube running for a few hours
I usually add chips like every 30 min for a few hrs. I like all ribs beef and pork just never smoked any and not sure about all the different ones and how they cook.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky