New to Wet Cure

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johnh12

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
NE Florida
I've done a few dry cure bellies in the past but want to try a couple of 2 ~ 3 pound skin on slabs using Pops wet brine method mainly because it seems to be easier. I plan to use a 5 gallon Igloo drink container that will fit just fine in our small refrigerator.
I have the basic recipe but am not sure when to add any other spices, aromatics, or syrups. Are they added to the basic mix or after the cure and rinse?
I also want to try cold smoking since it's finally cooling down here in NE Florida. I have a Lang 60D and the A-Maze-N smoker tray with their blend of pellets that came with it. How long should I plan on smoking the cured bellies?

John, I can't answer your questions. I'm sure someone will chime in. If not PM(if the new format still allows) Pops. He'll set you straight.

Chris.

Any time I want to add spices to the cure I add right away. Some things will get toasted before hand then added. Syrup gets added after the cure and before the dry time in the fridge.

It has been my experience that adding the spice as a rub after the cure and prior to forming the pellicle adds a better flavor profile than adding the spices to the brine. Yes you will get some flavor from having them in the brine, but usually not much.

As far as syrups I assume you're referring to maple and or honey. To get the best flavor of those two you will want to use the powdered form. If you were hot smoking you could use them in liquid form as a glaze to add the flavor during the smoking process. Just adding them to the brine doesn't add much flavor.

As for time that's a personal preference. I cold smoke my bacon for 18-24 hours. I watch the color change. I also prefer to smoke in 6-8 hour stints with an overnight rest in between. I do this mainly because of time constraints. I should also mention that I let the cured bacon dry uncovered in the fridge for 5 days after curing. I do this again after smoking prior to packaging.

One more note on smoke time. The type of wood will make a difference too. I use cherry or a mix of cherry and pecan. both of which are on the milder side.

I found some belly at the commissary for $2.09/lb, plus the 5% surcharge of course. They weighed 2.05 and 2.22 lbs respectively and looked good and are decently thick.
I mixed up a gallon of Pop's regular brine exactly IAW his recipe and put them in the fridge to start the cure.
Based on dirtsailor2003's recommendation I'll dust with some fresh black pepper after the cure, rinse, and test fry to see if a soak is needed.
The weather over Thanksgivving weekend here in NE Florida will dictate cold or hot smoke. I plan to use my newly acquired A-Maz-N pellet tray with apple pellets for smoke if cold and in addition to the oak smoke if hot.
BTW: I left the skin on this time rather than messing with it. It should come off easy after the smoke period but I may leave it on for some additional chewiness.
Pop's brine method is so much easier than dry cure and all the weighing required. Hope it turn out great.

Based on dirtsailor2003's recommendation I'll dust with some fresh black pepper after the cure, rinse, and test fry to see if a soak is needed.

Couple things things out of order there. Rinse, fry test, soak if needed, last season. once seasoned air dry to form pellicle. Then smoke.

Note: I've never found with Pop's brine that I've needed to soak.

Sounds like you have a good plan. Except do your test fry first, then you can add your pepper and then put in the fridge on racks for a few days with it on. You will probably want to smoke it with the pepper on too. You don't want to rinse it off for good peppered bacon.

I didn't care for smoking my bacon with the skin on, but it will come off easier. Don't expect you can even chew it AT ALL though.

Thanks. That was what I meant to say.
Also, a PM from Pops said that the pellicle wait was only for fish and not necessary for bacon. He said to go directly from the rinse to smoke. That is unless I misunderstood him.
Interesting.

I don't disagree with Pops. It will work just fine if you don't. However... there is a benefit (more than one actually) to drying it out a bit for a few days before smoking. In fact dry aging your bacon longer than that does wonderful things worthy of the wait!

I did some wet brine with pepper and spices, it all rinsed off and you couldn't hardly tell it was in the mixture. Now I just brine, rinse then dry the bacon with a spice rub on it then smoke. I'm by no means an expert yet and still experimenting but I think I've got plain old bacon down pretty good and working towards fancy bacon :)

It looks like the Florida weather will cooperate so I plan to try the cold smoke using the AMPS 5x8 tray with apple pellets.
The cure s/b done on Thanksgiving and the following daytime temps are supposed to be highs in the low 60's.
The plan is to pull from the cure, rinse and test fry. If all is good I'll dust with some course ground black pepper and sit uncovered in the fridge overnight.
I'm normally up by about 6AM so it'll go on then.
I haven't decided whether to hang them in the warmer box or lay on the main grid. Maybe one of each to see if there's a difference. The skin is still on so the one laying will be skin down on the Lang.
This will be the first time for the AMPS so I hope to get about 12 hours out of it.
Hope it turns out as good as all have predicted.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky