Soak brined belly?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ITSROGER

Original poster
Dec 17, 2023
I dry cured a couple pork bellies and they came out salty, I used 1.5% salt and 2% brown sugar and .25% cure #1, soaked it for one hour changing the water 3 times.
So I decided to wet brine the next ones, the same recipe as the dry cure, weighed the meat and water, used the digging dog calculator.
My question is do I need to soak the wet brined bacon? If so I think I'll soak for longer changing the water several times.
TIA,
Roger

I dry cured a couple pork bellies and they came out salty, I used 1.5% salt and 2% brown sugar and .25% cure #1, soaked it for one hour changing the water 3 times.
So I decided to wet brine the next ones, the same recipe as the dry cure, weighed the meat and water, used the digging dog calculator.
My question is do I need to soak the wet brined bacon? If so I think I'll soak for longer changing the water several times.
TIA,
Roger
You must not eat much salt? 1.5% is what I use and it’s considered “lower” salt compared to commercial or traditional bacon. Did you weigh the salt or use cup or spoon measurement?

Reactions: DougE and TNJAKE
You must not eat much salt? 1.5% is what I use and it’s considered “lower” salt compared to commercial or traditional bacon. Did you weigh the salt or use cup or spoon measurement?
What he said. I am not overly heavy on the salt and rarely add salt to anything on my plate and also use 1.5% salt in my cures.

All good valid questions. You can always cut a piece or two off and do a fry test before smoking. If it's still too salty you can soak or rinse it more... but once smoked you're stuck with it.

Ryan

Reactions: ITSROGER
I'm fairly confident in the recipe, just don't know if soaking will help due to it having been soaked in brine for 14 days.

I prefer 1.5% on most cured items, but I bump my dry cured bacon to 1.8%, however... I do a 2-hour soak out with at least one change of water. Then I rest uncovered in the fridge for up to 48 hours.

I have seen questions online about soaking overly salty bacon, and some report that soaking slices will lower the saltiness. I would assume you need to give it some drying time. Here is a good article with a section on "soaking" that is one of the few references I've seen about soaking following smoking:

" When immersed in cold fresh water the salt which is present in a ham will start travelling outwards (sort of reverse curing). The outside areas (especially the surface) contain more salt and have the shortest distance to water. Those areas will loose salt first and the salt distribution inside of the meat will be more uniform. Soaking can be performed even on a fully smoked and cooked sausage that was greatly oversalted. Place it in a cold water (refrigerator) overnight and you might save your product."

Reactions: Fueling Around
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky