Wild Game Casing

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Florida Chris

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 22, 2023
Anyone on here ever try to make your own sausage casings? Obviously wild boar would be similar to the hog casings you can buy, but what about venison, rams, elk? Other than the obvious PITA of repeatedly washing and cleaning to get them ready for consumption, are there wild game casings that are viable for sausage making?

Just a random thought. I'll never do it, but wondering if anyone has tried or knows someone who has.

Probably not available commercially. And I seriously doubt anyone would clean them today as a home producer. I'm sure they were used extensively way beck in the day though.

It took some getting used to just fooling with the already clean natural casings I buy, knowing what they are, and what was once in them. I don't think there is a way to get me to harvest and clean them myself unless it became a have to case.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky