Do I Need To Add Cure?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

610Drew

Original poster
Feb 28, 2024
I'm new to sausage making. I ground pork, mixed in spices, salt, and cure #1 but didn't have time to stuff. It's been in a Ziploc bag in my fridge for 3 days. Can I simply stuff it and continue? Or do I need to add more cure #1, stuff, and then cure 24 hours before smoking? I've searched online but have not been able to turn up a definitive answer so I would appreciate any insight.

Thanks!

Ah, so you want to make a smoke sausage. I say mix the cure in ASAP. Even if the sausage sits for a couple days it will be fine. But next time when you are making a sausage you want to smoke, mix the cure in with the seasoning. Then you can either rest in the fridge for a few days, or stuff and rest...either way is fine. It is ok to add a little water... matter of fact in this case it would be preferred. Add the cure #1 to the water (not hot water) to dissolve, then add a little ice to cool the water down, then mix into the meat paste. Be sure to extract porteins for a great bind.

Reactions: 610Drew
No defiantly do not add more cure. Put a damp towel over it while in fridge, it will keep your casing from drying out. Thank me later.

I see things that other people don’t

Hallucinations can cause confusion and stress and can have many causes. Whatever the reason, the sooner you seek help the better.

I need more beer, he still has not stuffed them yet.
Good advice when he does
🍻🍻

Reactions: 610Drew
I'm new to sausage making. I ground pork, mixed in spices, salt, and cure #1 but didn't have time to stuff. It's been in a Ziploc bag in my fridge for 3 days. Can I simply stuff it and continue? Or do I need to add more cure #1, stuff, and then cure 24 hours before smoking? I've searched online but have not been able to turn up a definitive answer so I would appreciate any insight.

Thanks!
You are fine as you are. The 3 days in a zip bag is fine. If you stuff to smoke you will likely need to add a little bit of water to the mix to loosen it up to run through the stuffer well. I have no idea how much weight you have mixed but start with about 60ml of water per 1Kg of meat. Add more at that same rate if needed to make a good meat batter. Also letting it warm just slightly before stuffing will help as well. Then smoke right away. Only add cure #1 one time, no need to add again. I cure meats with one application of salt and cure #1 for 2 weeks at a time before smoking (ham and bacon) never a need for a second application of cure.

Reactions: Timber II
Once the batch with ground meats and added water with maybe potatoes depending on the recipe and seasoning and you get the consistency you want to stuff, then weigh the batch and add .25% cure #1.

Thanks!
Thank you everyone for your replies. I will stuff the sausage and carry on.

Cheers,

Drew

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky