New to the forum, and just got a new smoker!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rockinova

Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
Colorado
Hey folks, thanks for having me. I've been smoking meat for most of my life, but not until the last couple years have I started using my own rubs and sauces. Now that I've started down that rabbit hole, I want to keep learning and progressing. Last thing I smoked was an antelope pastrami that was great, but my akorn kamado finally gave up the ghost and is rusted out for a second time
20181215_183722.jpg
... so, my in-laws graciously paid for half of my new toy, an OK Joe's highland offset! I am very thankful indeed. Anyway, I'm going to do all the standard upgrades and mods per the threads on this forum, but I'm really looking forward to all the advice and info you all have to offer.

Welcome aboard glad to have ya join the fun. Nice looking pastrami.

Chris

Reactions: Rockinova
Welcome to the site, that pastrami looks awesome great job. I smoked on the OK joe for years and loved. Never did a mod, just learned how to work with what I had. Not saying that is the best way but I am saying I did not find this site until that thing was wore out LOL and it was to late to do any modifying. I think sealing your pit off around the cooking chamber door will help out alot.

Reactions: Rockinova
Hey all, thanks for the warm welcome! I grew up under the wing of an original texas pitmaster, and just hope that some of it "rubbed" off. Thanks for the kind words on the pastrami, we were very happy with the results. Too bad I didn't write down my recipe, as usual... I didnt get to harvest this antelope, but did field dress and process it. Indaswamp, duck pastrami is what inspired the idea, I bet goose is tasty! jawgaboy, just planning basic mods, i found a thread on here about the basics (door seal, lower smoke stack intake, baffle between smoker box and fire box) the other day, but cant locate it right now. Dcecil, that's good to hear, as I have been informed that this smoker must last a long long time. My uncle who taught me all about smoke always ran a 550 gal oil drum smoker he hand made in the 80s, so I'm used to old, beat up and leaky. This time around, I'm hoping to try to get a little more technical and use a little less fuel while I'm at it! He also had an industrial fridge he made into the "more power smoker" but that's a beast for another time and thread entirely

Ahh, thanks. I smoked it to 160 deg F, then rested it (fridge overnight), then steamed it to 200 F. Then gave it the classic sandwich treatment. As you can see, the veggies were an afterthought

Attachments

• 20181215_183917.jpg
    20181215_183917.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 11
Thanks! Cant wait to see what it can do. I'm learning a lot here already, so now I just need a day off from work to get going

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky