My 1st fatties

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Brokenhandle

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 9, 2019
Nw Iowa
Been wanting to make a fatty for a long time, just never seemed to get around to it, but that finally changed. To begin with want to say a big thanks to gmc2003 gmc2003 for his step by steps he posted, made it simple! Being the first ones didn't know if we wanted to use all burger or sausage so split the difference. Started with 2 lbs venison and about 3/4 lb Dakota sausage (Owen's bbq) and mixed the two together and divided in half. Got the meat rolled out, one with mushrooms, onions, bacon bits, and smoked cheddar and muenster cheese

20200708_204839.jpg

The second one the same minus the mushrooms. This was for our son that just recently moved out. And yes, my wife did the toppings...she wouldn't let me, we both knew if I did them I wouldn't get them closed!

20200708_204847.jpg

Here they are all wrapped up and ready for a stay in the fridge. Did season them with some of Jeff's rub and famous Dave's...after they were rolled, next time will season them before rolling. And of course, had to get the feet too!

20200708_205553.jpg

Didn't take many pics cuz I honestly hadn't planned on posting this, in case of epic failure. Smoked in mes 30 with pitmasters choice to an IT of 165. Here they are out of smoker and resting

20200709_184711.jpg

In above pic my wife and mine on the right (my bacon weave) and son's on the left (Shelly's bacon weave) we were both impressed for our first time.
Below an inside look

20200709_192322.jpg

Have to say these turned out excellent! Could have probably used more stuffing but not wanting to overstuffed, went on the light side. We also seasoned outside of bacon with more Jeff's rub and famous Dave's.

This pic was actually for our son but thought I'd throw it in too. He wanted some special K bars and a couple tools. Yes, I did get some bars...but less than half lol

20200708_194917.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Ryan

I could go for a few slices right now. Looks good.

I could go for a few slices right now. Looks good.
Thank you! We were gone over the weekend so been having leftovers for my lunch. Today was fatty and a bunch of baby onions dipped in ranch.

Ryan

looks real good Ryan! Dang good job on the weave for the first time! You'll be hooked on fatties now! We love to make them. Lots of different things you can stuff a fattie with!

looks real good Ryan! Dang good job on the weave for the first time! You'll be hooked on fatties now! We love to make them. Lots of different things you can stuff a fattie with!
Thanks Travis! It was good. Those step by steps gmc2003 gmc2003 posted was a huge help...otherwise my bacon weave probably would have been a bacon knot! Shelly just came home with some deli sliced ham and turkey...I said that would be good in a fatty! She rolled her eyes at me

Ryan

Dang Ryan those look great man! You nailed it on your first shot. Very impressed. Points for sure!
Thanks! I was impressed too! I was kinda thinking a pizza fatty but shelly didn't seem impressed, maybe the next one.

Ryan

Those are two great looking fatties right there. Excellent ingredients and a tight weave. Job well done.

Point for sure
Chris

This looks like the perfect meal for someone doing Carnivore! I can't wait to try it!
Thank you! Took me a long time to try one, give it a go...you won't be disappointed

Ryan

Those are two great looking fatties right there. Excellent ingredients and a tight weave. Job well done.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris, I appreciate it! Your step by steps really helped make it alot easier!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky