Mussels and Clams W/Recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JJ we like the small PEI Mussels the New Zealand are to big,gamy tasting.The store only had these Cockles so we made do with them.Thanks
Richie 
You're going to hate me for this. When I lived on the Oregon coast I had a mussel bed in my back yard. 75 was the limit. We'd pick the ones that were about 2" in shell length. 75 is the limit. That and having fresh Dungeness crab are a few of the things I mss about living at the coast. The rain not so much!
Case I could never hate someone for having them resources in their yard.Were I go clamming I can take 150 a day,per person the mussel beds are all in polluted water.

Richie

Looks Awesome, Richie!!!
drool.gif
drool.gif
----
points.gif

I never ate Mussels, but I always loved Clams!

I always wanted to try them, but never did.

Then my Son had some at a Picnic in Jersey, and he got violently sick, and thought he was going to die.

Everybody thought they might have been spoiled, because it was in the Summer & it was at a Picnic.

But then he had some in a Restaurant, and the same thing happened.

So now I'm afraid to try them, because he is my Son, and if that happened to me, it would probably Kill me.

I still love & eat clams, and all other shellfish.

Does anyone know, if you aren't allergic to Clams, Lobster, Oysters, Crab Meat, and all other shellfish, could you still be allergic to Mussels???

Bear

Looks Awesome, Richie!!!
drool.gif
drool.gif
----
points.gif

I never ate Mussels, but I always loved Clams!

I always wanted to try them, but never did.

Then my Son had some at a Picnic in Jersey, and he got violently sick, and thought he was going to die.

Everybody thought they might have been spoiled, because it was in the Summer & it was at a Picnic.

But then he had some in a Restaurant, and the same thing happened.

So now I'm afraid to try them, because he is my Son, and if that happened to me, it would probably Kill me.

I still love & eat clams, and all other shellfish.

Does anyone know, if you aren't allergic to Clams, Lobster, Oysters, Crab Meat, and all other shellfish, could you still be allergic to Mussels???

Bear
Bear I thought maybe the picnic was at Browns Marina. Mussels are pretty much the same as the others,other then they are a required taste.Just finished replacing some siding Thanks for the points I appreciate it

Richie

You know how to eat, Richie. Marvellous looking food. Points.

Disco
Disco thanks we get to treat ourselves,with a cheap meal.Thanks for the points I appreciate it

Dang it Richie man, I could eat a 55gallon drum of that! Fantastic!
John Thanks can't complain about the taste
Put a little smoke on those clams and muscles. Made one of the best cioppino I have ever had. Nice job.
Jason
AKD Thanks I thought about that will give it a try Thanks for the heads up

Richie

Last edited:
You people on SMF come up with so many incredible food ideas!!!!

Um, mussels!!!! This post has done it for me again. Looks so good and I want to try. The picture brings me back to the first time I had mussels. Small neighborhood Italian restaurant in Chicago served what looked just like yours. Could I please have a recipe?

DW in Richardson, TX

You people on SMF come up with so many incredible food ideas!!!!

Um, mussels!!!! This post has done it for me again. Looks so good and I want to try. The picture brings me back to the first time I had mussels. Small neighborhood Italian restaurant in Chicago served what looked just like yours. Could I please have a recipe?

DW in Richardson, TX
DW I have a recipe I use a little this an that I'll try to convert it,should have it up tomorrow A.M.

Thanks for the nice comment

Richie

DW This is as best as I could figure.Enjoy

Mussels 

2 lbs. mussels  steamed in salted water ( red wine Optional )

2 Cans Tomatoes ( diced )

1 medium onion ( coarse chop )

4  garlic cloves ( fine dice )

1 teaspoon each Dry Basil,Parsley and Oregano

4 to 6 Tbsp. Capers 

Calamata Olives sliced to taste ( optional )

1/4 cup Olive Oil

Red Wine

In a large pot steam Mussels till just open, drain and let cool. Remove top shell, in 
a large hot pan, add Olive Oil saute onion lightly translucent, add Garlic, when you 
can smell it, add Tomatoes. Bring to a boil reduce heat simmer 1/2 hr. add spices, 
Capers, Olives, and a splash of red wine.Simmer again 15 minutes 
 Stir the Mussels back in simmer 5 more min.

If using clams you do not have to,cook ahead of time.Cook them right in the sauce 

Richie

I wanted to comment, I think many folks have no idea how inexpensive Mussels can be.

Usually about only $2/ Lb.

Don't need to go to a high $ Fishmonger.

Many larger regular grocery stores have them, located in Frozen food next to like the Shrimp, crawfish meat, etc.

----  They usually have a very small space to display in, often hard to spot. -----

In TX, many HEB's have them, also Walmart.

Also, maybe Asian grocery stores.    Marc

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fishin-Mussels-2-Lb/14654146

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/fish-market-cooked-black-mussels/565435

I wanted to comment, I think many folks have no idea how inexpensive Mussels can be.

Many larger regular grocery stores have them, located in Frozen food next to like the Shrimp, crawfish meat, etc.

----  They usually have a very small space to display in, often hard to spot. -----

Marc Thank You that is good info for folks who do not have a source for fresh

Richie

Even the frozen ones in my neck of the woods are spendy. 0n sale toy can get them for $5.99/pound, $8.99-$12.99 not on sale.

----  They usually have a very small space to display in, often hard to spot.

Even the frozen ones in my neck of the woods are spendy. 0n sale toy can get them for $5.99/pound, $8.99-$12.99 not on sale.
Time to move back west

Wow $5.99 on sale

Richie

That's my kinda meal, Richie.  Love mussels and clams.  I hardly ever get to eat them.  Miss Linda hates them and our neighbors don't eat them.  He's so allergic to shellfish, that if he eats even a hint of one, he's on the floor doing the funky chicken.

POINTS for a meal I'd love to eat.

Gary

That's my kinda meal, Richie.  Love mussels and clams.  I hardly ever get to eat them.  Miss Linda hates them and our neighbors don't eat them.  He's so allergic to shellfish, that if he eats even a hint of one, he's on the floor doing the funky chicken.

POINTS for a meal I'd love to eat.

Gary
Gary Thanks we didn't get out clamming this year,fresh from the ground are even better. Thanks for the points I appreciate it

Richie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky