Mothers day smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

yankabilly

Original poster
Aug 3, 2013
Hello guys and gals,

First let me say that i have been a member, but haven't had a lot of time to smoke, just lately, due to work injury, have i had the time.

So, i have aquired several skirt/flat iron steaks, and was thinking of smoking them, with smoked potatoes, does anyone have a fav rub/marinade for this, please, i know and do cook them as fajitas, but want something diff. And, how long to smoke potatoes?

Any wood suggestions wood also be helpful, i was thinking hickory or pecan.

Thanks so much for the help.

Last edited:
Hickory or pecan would be great. Smoke the potatoes until they are very easy to probe and get them out right then, before they start to crumble. As far as a rub for the steaks, you can't beat SPOG. It's salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. Most folks that I know use 2 parts of salt and pepper to 1 part of garlic and onion. Don't use garlic salt or onion salt. If that's all you have, cut the salt portion to less than 1 part. You can always add more at the table.

Good luck with them and a good Mother's Day.

Reactions: yankabilly
What temp would you smoke at and how long, i'm thinking 275 for an hr with meat, 1.25 potatoes? Its a vertical smoker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky