MES alterations?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

patinlouisiana

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 21, 2019
Baton Rouge, LA
I have an old MES 20070411 that has been a pain in the neck. Runs way to hot and i'm thinking about adding a direct PID control to the element and bypass the MES controller all together. Have any of you done a similar project? Thinking about the mypin or inkbird controllers

If you look up PID controllers for MES there is a fair amount of people who have, some one mighta with your exact model!

Reactions: denny
I bypassed my MES40 gen 1 controls all together and plug the element directly to my auber PID.

Little bit of work but well worth it. I also flipped the element over in order to centralize it more.

Reactions: dr k
I have an old MES 20070411 that has been a pain in the neck. Runs way to hot and i'm thinking about adding a direct PID control to the element and bypass the MES controller all together. Have any of you done a similar project? Thinking about the mypin or inkbird controllers

Hi there and welcome!

Here is a detailed post I have on rewiring your MES to work with a PID controller.
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/mes-rewire-simple-guide-no-back-removal-needed.267069/

This approach rewires the MES to bypass it's controller and to allow your current MES plug to plug into a PID controller and have the PID controller cut off/on power that goes directly to the MES heating element (due to the MES rewire). The PID controller just simply needs an "outlet" for the MES plug to plug into.

The Auber Plug and Play PID controllers are designed in this fashion and work very well.
If you build your own PID controller you would just need to make sure it has an outlet, which is easy to make by cutting up a 16AWG (or 14/12/10 AWG) extension cord and wiring in the female/outlet end to the PID so it can feed to the MES male plug.

If you have to buy All/Most of the PID parts to build a PID controller then buying the Auber Plug and Play PID is very comparable in price. Many guys who build builds have additional parts and project boxes, etc. lying around and can build one much cheaper than buying... I never had extra parts lying around :(

Let us know what you decide and let us know.

PS. Thanks guys for recommending my info and Bear for tagging me so I didn't miss the post :)

Last edited:
Reactions: denny
I am a complete electronics know-nothing but by following tallbm's instructions my MES is now controlled by an Auber PID and I love it. You can't go wrong.

Reactions: denny and tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky