Marinate brisket in greek yogurt?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dudleydowrong

Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
Graham, NC
This is probably a crazy question, but has anyone tried marinating a brisket in greek yogurt before smoking it? It tenderizes the heck out of chicken and steak for kebobs. I wonder if it would have a similar effect on brisket. My thought was to slather it in yogurt, refrigerate for 6ish hours, apply a dry rub, and smoke it.

Thanks!

A well cooked and sliced correctly brisket is plenty tender as is... literally pulls apart. I dont even see a reason to attempt it.

I guess actually if you wanted to see if you could get tender results at a lower temp thus decreasing cook time it may be worth it... try it out. Be sure to report back how it goes. With beef prices as high as they are here id be cautious expirementing.

Sometimes as crazy as it sounds you just gotta try it. I will say I cannot imagine it would hurt the results.

Interesting question,. I've used Greek yogurt in the past as a marinade for chicken and lamb with good results, but never thought about doing so with a brisket. That said, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work with brisket.

If I were in your position, and interested in trying the yogurt marinade, I'd cut the brisket in half, coat one half with the marinade, leave the other half bare, and cook them as you normally would. Use full-fat true Greek yogurt, preferably made from goat's milk, if it's available, and strain it well. Mix in any seasonings that you might normally use, coat one of the brisket halves with the yogurt, and refrigerate for at least 24 hours. Cook the brisket halves side by side, and go from there. If you choose to try this, let us know how it works out.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky