Looking for some pricing advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bob isbell

Original poster
I have someone asking me to aquire and cook a cleaned hog for her that would feed 150 people in September. I've priced one through my local butcher but am at a loss on what to charge her for cooking and delivering it. I can price pilled pork, chicken, ribs and sudes all daynlong but with me never being asked to cook a whole hog I have no idea what to charge. There'll be a mix of wood and charcoal used to cook it.

Looking forward to any advice and THANKS.
Bob

Bob,

I cook at a lot for different events and only charge the cost of meat and consumables. So I can't help a lot on the specific pricing however...

On my equipment (300gal side burning) I would look at it like this:

125 lbs hog for 150 people.

14 to 16 hours cook at 225 - 250

One bag of charcoal to get it going and 1/4 truck of wood to keep it where i want it.  It may not take that much wood but depending on weather it could and that is what i would use to quote. 

2 gallons of injection

Quart of rub.

Gallon of mop sauce

The other things to consider would be packaging for transport if cooking offsite and of course the delivery if needed as well as any time spent serving. 

Your equipment may not take as long or may take longer.  But that is what i would do.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky