Lobster Mac & Cheese...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
...with shrimp, too. Food Lion had 4 oz. cold water lobster tails on sale last week for Mother's Day for $4.99/each. Well Tuesday they reduced them to $2.99/each so I bought what I thought were the best looking 5 to make mac & cheese. I didn't really think that would be enough so I thawed out a quart of shrimp to use, as well. The quart containers I use hold about 1½ lbs. or so and that's a little too much so I used about half of the container. So here we go...

5 tails and the shrimp...
20230517_163423[1].jpg

Peeled the shrimp and split the tails...
20230517_164533[1].jpg

I decided to grill the lobster so I lit the grill with some lump on the side and brushed the tails with melted, unsalted butter. On they went...
20230517_172119[1].jpg

I was looking for an I.T. of about 125℉ which didn't take long...maybe 10 minutes...
20230517_173028[1].jpg

The meat from the tails was cut into bite size pieces and the shrimp were cut in half, but not cooked. They will cook when the casserole is baked.

Meanwhile I had thawed out some of my shrimp stock to cook the noodles in. The elbows were cooked about 5 minutes at most, still wanted them a little crunchy, or al dente as the Italians say...:emoji_grinning:
20230517_165838[1].jpg

Drained the noodles reserving about a cup or so of the stock to use in the roux.

Melted 6 TBSP of unsalted butter and added about the same of all purpose flour. Cooked over medium heat for about 4-5 minutes until the roux develops a slightly nutty aroma. Stirring constantly to prevent burning or it's time to start over...
20230517_173803[1].jpg

Next I added in the reserved shrimp stock, stirring constantly...
20230517_174215[1].jpg

20230517_174223[1].jpg

Then I slowly added about 4 cups of ½ & ½, stirring almost constantly to blend. I add the milk until I get the creamy consistency I'm looking for. Also stirred in ½ tsp nutmeg, 1 tsp ground mustard, and 1 tsp garlic powder. Let this cook on low stirring occasionally until desired consistency is reached, but being careful not to burn. It will go from perfect to burnt real quick...:emoji_wink:

In a bowl, I mixed together 2 cups white cheddar (because that's all I had), 2 cups regular sharp cheddar, 1 cup gruyere, and ½ cup parmesan. Once the roux was done to my liking, the noodles, roux, cheese, shrimp, and lobster meat are mixed together...
20230517_175650[1].jpg

This was poured into a greased 9x13 baking dish. It was almost too much for the dish...
20230517_180002[1].jpg

In a small bowl, I mixed together 1 cup of panko bread crumbs, ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, salt and pepper to taste, and a good drizzle of EVOO...
20230517_174853[1].jpg

This was spread on top and it went into the oven at 400℉ for about 35-40 minutes or until the topping gets brown and the mac & cheese gets bubbly...
20230517_182814[1].jpg

Served with corn on the cob and green beans. Time to eat...
20230517_183617[1].jpg

It was creamy and rich and everyone loved it, but a little on the rich side for me. Maybe less cheese next time and whole milk instead of the ½ & ½? Grilling the lobster did not add any flavor to the dish that I could taste, but the shrimp stock definitely did...

Thank you, Jim! I appreciate that. This is something my wife really loves and will order if it's on the menu when we go out to eat, so I thought I'd try it for her. But at restaurants, it never has much meat in it...:emoji_wink:

Looks like it was very good!
However for me, I don't think I'd be able to put the shrimp and lobster in the mac & cheese.
I'd want to eat them by themselves with the mac & cheese on the side. Haha

Dang, Charles, that looks killer good!
We make a seafood lasagna, but we are gonna have to give Mac-n-cheese a try next time!
Great write up & step by step!
Al

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Wow, that would be an epi-pen special for me! Looks great though. If I could eat that without being brought to the hospital, I would eat a couple bowls....hmm might actually be worth it....lol

• Haha
Looks like it was very good!
However for me, I don't think I'd be able to put the shrimp and lobster in the mac & cheese.
I'd want to eat them by themselves with the mac & cheese on the side. Haha
I don't buy lobster very much at all, usually too expensive. Shrimp, on the other hand, I can buy in bulk straight off of the boats, usually Gay's Fish Company in Beaufort, for a decent price. I'll buy 100 lbs. and freeze them in quart containers so I always have that available.

Thank you for your comments, they are appreciated...

Wow, that would be an epi-pen special for me! Looks great though. If I could eat that without being brought to the hospital, I would eat a couple bowls....hmm might actually be worth it....lol
Thanks Cliff, but I wouldn't want you to do anything that would make you sick...:emoji_wink:

AMAZING!! Where does the line start to get some of this? I know you deal with some really interesting family dynamics but guess what...I'm up for adoption if you want to really increase that "interesting" factor :emoji_laughing:

Robert

• Haha
AMAZING!! Where does the line start to get some of this? I know you deal with some really interesting family dynamics but guess what...I'm up for adoption if you want to really increase that "interesting" factor :emoji_laughing:

Robert
You know you're welcome anytime, my friend. AND, there's always room for one more at my zoo...:emoji_wink:🤣

That lobster looks damn good. I never heard of lobster mac and cheese until last night when this video popped up to watch. You must have gotten the $145 version.

Boy that does MnC look fantastic Charles. I've thought about putting seafood in my McC before, but always backed out at the last minute. I didn't think you'd be able to taste the seafood with all the cheese. Now I know different.

Point for sure
Chris

...with shrimp, too. Food Lion had 4 oz. cold water lobster tails on sale last week for Mother's Day for $4.99/each. Well Tuesday they reduced them to $2.99/each so I bought what I thought were the best looking 5 to make mac & cheese. I didn't really think that would be enough so I thawed out a quart of shrimp to use, as well. The quart containers I use hold about 1½ lbs. or so and that's a little too much so I used about half of the container. So here we go...

5 tails and the shrimp...
View attachment 665748

Peeled the shrimp and split the tails...
View attachment 665749

I decided to grill the lobster so I lit the grill with some lump on the side and brushed the tails with melted, unsalted butter. On they went...
View attachment 665750

I was looking for an I.T. of about 125℉ which didn't take long...maybe 10 minutes...
View attachment 665752
The meat from the tails was cut into bite size pieces and the shrimp were cut in half, but not cooked. They will cook when the casserole is baked.

Meanwhile I had thawed out some of my shrimp stock to cook the noodles in. The elbows were cooked about 5 minutes at most, still wanted them a little crunchy, or al dente as the Italians say...:emoji_grinning:
View attachment 665753
Drained the noodles reserving about a cup or so of the stock to use in the roux.

Melted 6 TBSP of unsalted butter and added about the same of all purpose flour. Cooked over medium heat for about 4-5 minutes until the roux develops a slightly nutty aroma. Stirring constantly to prevent burning or it's time to start over...
View attachment 665754

Next I added in the reserved shrimp stock, stirring constantly...
View attachment 665755
View attachment 665756
Then I slowly added about 4 cups of ½ & ½, stirring almost constantly to blend. I add the milk until I get the creamy consistency I'm looking for. Also stirred in ½ tsp nutmeg, 1 tsp ground mustard, and 1 tsp garlic powder. Let this cook on low stirring occasionally until desired consistency is reached, but being careful not to burn. It will go from perfect to burnt real quick...:emoji_wink:

In a bowl, I mixed together 2 cups white cheddar (because that's all I had), 2 cups regular sharp cheddar, 1 cup gruyere, and ½ cup parmesan. Once the roux was done to my liking, the noodles, roux, cheese, shrimp, and lobster meat are mixed together...
View attachment 665760

This was poured into a greased 9x13 baking dish. It was almost too much for the dish...
View attachment 665761

In a small bowl, I mixed together 1 cup of panko bread crumbs, ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, salt and pepper to taste, and a good drizzle of EVOO...
View attachment 665762
This was spread on top and it went into the oven at 400℉ for about 35-40 minutes or until the topping gets brown and the mac & cheese gets bubbly...
View attachment 665763

Served with corn on the cob and green beans. Time to eat...
View attachment 665764

It was creamy and rich and everyone loved it, but a little on the rich side for me. Maybe less cheese next time and whole milk instead of the ½ & ½? Grilling the lobster did not add any flavor to the dish that I could taste, but the shrimp stock definitely did...
Such a nice dish!! That with a little corn on the cob...perfection!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky