LG 900 or Pitboss 820/1000sc

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

acd4476

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 9, 2010
Metro Detroit, MI
Looking at a pellet grill. Only had electric smoker and it died. Looking at LG900 for $599 @ local Costco or the pitboss 820 or 1000sc at menards for 399 or 549. Thoughts? Tectec is awesome but can't justify the price with already having a Weber propane will primarily use for a smoker

Just helped my friend with his LG900 this past Saturday. And everything seemed to work great. We did 21lbs of ribs. And 2 5lb tritips. But noticed about 3hrs in to the cook a lot of ash everywhere. When i say everywhere while opening lid to check food it's just everywhere. I have the zgrill and never see ash floating around during a cook. I actually took my zgrill to his house because he wanted smoked ribs and the time people were goinf to show up we wouldnt have time to cook the tritips.

So with about an hour before people would arrive I put 6 tritips on zgrill. The things i liked was the size over my zgrill. The hinge on the door. The grilling door the slides to expose the flame. It's up to you but the ash was a no go for me to get one for the shop. I'll stick to zgrill for know
Looking at a pellet grill. Only had electric smoker and it died. Looking at LG900 for $599 @ local Costco or the pitboss 820 or 1000sc at menards for 399 or 549. Thoughts? Tectec is awesome but can't justify the price with already having a Weber propane will primarily use for a smoker

Just helped my friend with his LG900 this past Saturday. And everything seemed to work great. We did 21lbs of ribs. And 2 5lb tritips. But noticed about 3hrs in to the cook a lot of ash everywhere. When i say everywhere while opening lid to check food it's just everywhere. I have the zgrill and never see ash floating around during a cook. I actually took my zgrill to his house because he wanted smoked ribs and the time people were goinf to show up we wouldnt have time to cook the tritips.

So with about an hour before people would arrive I put 6 tritips on zgrill. The things i liked was the size over my zgrill. The hinge on the door. The grilling door the slides to expose the flame. It's up to you but the ash was a no go for me to get one for the shop. I'll stick to zgrill for know

Ash build up during and after cooks can be caused by a few things. The brand of Pellets being used... Not all pellets are created the same/equal and some are known to produce more ash during cooks then others. The amount of excessive sawdust in the bag of pellets being poured into the pellet grills hopper can blow out and cause a mess, the fire pot not being vacuumed out from prior cooks can also cause excessive ash to accumulate during the cook just to name a few possible causes. I’ll say this about the different brands of bbq Pellets, I prefer using Lumberjack Pellets because they produce the best smoke flavor for my cooks, but they also produce a little more ash then some of the other brands of pellets I’ve used, but I can live with that. If You’re seeing ash all over your food, besides changing the pellet brand being used, I would also try spraying the underside of the flame broiler with either a light coat of grill spray or put a light coat of cooking oil on the underside and wipe any excess oil off with a paper towel.. The ash will stick to the underside of the flame broiler and not get on your food... You won’t create a grease fire if you wipe any excess oil away. The grilling door that slides needs to always be in the closed position or you’ll have ash all over the place as well. When You want to grill something, then open the slider, but if you’re bbqing below 300* degrees, make sure the slider is in the closed position covering the Flame Broiler... Remember, these are Pellet Grills, so some ash is completely normal, that’s why is wise to buy/use a Shop Vac to help keep your pellet grill clean. Just a few helpful tips.. I hope everything gets figured out, it shouldn’t be that hard.. Good luck.

PB Austin XL in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

Last edited:
Ok thanks for your reply. Maybe i didn't explain things right. I have experience with pellet grills. It was actually my friends first pellet grill and it was brand new. He got carried away and invited 60 people to his house to show off his new toy. So i took mine to help out. I used his pellets and had zero ash problem. The grill sliding door was closed except at the beginning to take a look at the flame. Some other guy messaged me saying they are known for the ash problem
Ash build up during and after cooks can be caused by a few things. The brand of Pellets being used... Not all pellets are created the same/equal and some are known to produce more ash during cooks then others. The amount of excessive sawdust in the bag of pellets being poured into the pellet grills hopper can blow out and cause a mess, the fire pot not being vacuumed out from prior cooks can also cause excessive ash to accumulate during the cook just to name a few possible causes. I’ll say this about the different brands of bbq Pellets, I prefer using Lumberjack Pellets because they produce the best smoke flavor for my cooks, but they also produce a little more ash then some of the other brands of pellets I’ve used, but I can live with that. If You’re seeing ash all over your food, besides changing the pellet brand being used, I would also try spraying the underside of the flame broiler with either a light coat of grill spray or put a light coat of cooking oil on the underside and wipe any excess oil off with a paper towel.. The ash will stick to the underside of the flame broiler and not get on your food... You won’t create a grease fire if you wipe any excess oil away. The grilling door that slides needs to always be in the closed position or you’ll have ash all over the place as well. When You want to grill something, then open the slider, but if you’re bbqing below 300* degrees, make sure the slider is in the closed position covering the Flame Broiler... Remember, these are Pellet Grills, so some ash is completely normal, that’s why is wise to buy/use a Shop Vac to help keep your pellet grill clean. Just a few helpful tips.. I hope everything gets figured out, it shouldn’t be that hard.. Good luck.

Ok thanks for your reply. Maybe i didn't explain things right. I have experience with pellet grills. It was actually my friends first pellet grill and it was brand new. He got carried away and invited 60 people to his house to show off his new toy. So i took mine to help out. I used his pellets and had zero ash problem. The grill sliding door was closed except at the beginning to take a look at the flame. Some other guy messaged me saying they are known for the ash problem

The information/post I replied to was intended for your friend, but You posted it, so it seemed like it was directed towards you. Share the info posted with him and suggest to him to join the SMF. I would say any brand of pellet grill can suffer ash issues, just search the web the reasons are often very common. I’ve had my PB for about a year and I don’t have any ash issues because I know and understand my grill. Another thing l do, is I clean and shop vac my entire grill after every cook... That’s just Me though. The tips I shared in my previous post will help your friend with his new grill. Once his grill is seasoned after a few more cooks, checking for excessive sawdust in the bag of pellets... I keep my pellets in a plastic air tight container and I sift through it to remove any excessive sawdust that may have been in the bag of pellets. Keeping his fire pot/burn pot clean of ash from prior cooks and coating the under side of his grills flame broiler with a light touch of grill spray and wiping any excess spray away with a paper towel will help eliminate the ash problem with his grill. Your friend can always reach out to Customer Service for any added/needed tech support as well. Again, the info stated is not directed towards You, but for your friend and anyone that maybe having the same problem with their brand of pellet grill. I hope everything works out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky