Keeping the smoker kinda kosher?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin scott

Original poster
Jul 12, 2013
South Jersey
So, my wife was raised pretty religious in a Jewish household and she has never voluntarily eaten pork (every now and then, she'll unwittingly eat a pot sticker or penne vodka made with pork). I was raised in a very relaxed Jewish house and my dad and I actually bonded over the magical qualities that bacon brings to any meal.

Anyway, my wife doesn't keep kosher anymore but she still has no desire to eat pork (she has been 'brainwashed' not to, as she puts it), but she is willing to let me use half of the smoker grate for pork products- as long as I keep the other half pork free. This brings up some questions...

My question is, If I am smoking butt or shoulder or ribs, does the meat have to be on the grate or can put them on some kind of grate inside the pan and then put the pan onto the smoker grate?

I guess another question is, is there any way to 'clean' the grates the same way that a self-cleaning oven eliminates anything inside of it?

Any feedback would be appreciated...

i'd say just pick up a 18 inch wsm and let it be the pork daddy. and everything else can go in what you have now. i have muslim friends and they do not eat pork either so i just ez off and steel wool my grill grates after each smoke and that keeps em happy. 

Not to be a smart--- Butt maybe smoked meat could bring peace to the middle east I know it is in the old testament, not sure about the Koran though, may you all be blessed this fine evening

Ok folks, I think these are some good ideas. I'm sure I can pick up an extra grate, that would solve all the problems. 

Thanks again!

Welcome to the dark side, Scott! 
36.gif

How about a rectangular strip of SS mesh - say 3" wide x dia. of grill.  Bend 1" flap so its 'L' shaped and bolt on with SS N&Bolts - it would give a visual barrier and ID the 'pork' and 'no pork' sides.

Scott, evening....  There is always the traditional soak for "24-72 hours"   I can't remember.. to make "hardware" kosher for the holidays...  Do you have 2 ovens, 2 sets of dishes and silverware ???   Pleasing the wife is so important... the inlaws will sing your praises if you go the extra mile ....  Get an extra smoker and washing tub for washing pork contacted products....  a plastic tub at W-Mart for $4 works well....   I use one for washing sheet pans, grates etc. that don't fit in the sink...  meat grinder parts also....   throw it all in, wash it....  done and out of the way...

Dave

Interesting situation you have. Glad I am not in that one...

The extra cooking grate probably the cheapest and easiest.

A second smoker would be best. No chance of anything from the beutiful pork seasoning of your smoker getting near the no pork foods.....

Good luck. Let us know what you decide and how it works out for you.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky