Jokes Section and Recent Activity.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bmudd14474

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 1, 2008
Florida
Most of you are aware of the recent thread about the jokes section.

First off let me start with this is a Smoking Meat Forums. We have a blowing smoke around the smoker section to have just fun conversations.

Years ago we were asked about a joke section so it was made. It wasn't used much so it was no big deal. Then over the last 3 years we have had more use and more complaints about it where it has taken away from the forum at times. Recently the recent post page had more jokes on it then threads about smoking and all.

We have had many calls from members and staff to remove the jokes section over the last year because it has caused so much drama which is crazy. Well about a month or so ago I made it so that its there but you have to go search for the forum to see it instead of having it in the recent threads. We figured this way if you don't enjoy them you don't have to see them and if you want to see them you can just go to the section.

This being said this is where we are right now and we are still debating removing it as it is and has caused more drama then needed or wanted. If Im being honest if I want jokes I don't come to SmokingMeatForums.com for it. I go elsewhere that has loads and loads of it.

So this is what it is and it will stay like that for now until I have a more indepth conversation about this with the rest of the staff and Jeff.

As for the thread being deleted. This is a family friendly forum and that last one had some that were questionable and we had complaints so a member of the staff moved it to the mod sections for more conversation about it. That is where it still is at and will be until a determination is made about it.

There you have it. Have a good night all.

Last edited:
Fair enough Brian. Thanks for the explaination.

Chris

Also is anyone wants to debate this please send me a PM as ill listen and have a healthy conversation about it with anyone. I just don't want it on the forum detracting from what we are supposed to be on here for as that isn't fair to those who are here for those reason.

I wasn't aware we had that many Karens in the Forum Membership, Brian. Personally, I like seeing the jokes. A few jokes can be a real pick-me-up on an off day. A quick visit to the Jokes forum is generally my last stop before leaving SMF, and I have been known to share a couple of jokes myself in the hope of bring a smile to someone's face.
If those easily offended Karens take offence at a joke, then as you say, it is a simple matter to overcome the problem--don't click on Jokes. Even a Karen should be able to grasp that concept.
If, as you say, this forum is all about smoking food, what about the other 24 forums and sub forums I earmarked at a quick glance as non smoking content? Do you plan to eliminate them from SMF in the near future too unless the posts contain some kind of smoked food in the write up??
I'm really getting fed up with catering to the minority at the expense of the majority. Post a poll (voter names req'd, screen names OK) and get the opinion of all the members, not just the Karens. Then, if the majority vote Jokes out, you won't hear me whining about it.
Gary

Do whatever you like Brian, you will anyway. I went over my history and found that I'd made around 225 posts on the Jokes thread without a complaint. Now someone who has been here less than two months has ruined it for the general population. All someone has to do if they don't want to hear what a particular person has to post is hit the "ignore" button, I've done it myself with a couple of guys that used to be big chatters, never really got into that, still seems to be a failure. I email the same jokes to old friends and family every week, tho they tend to be a bit more racy and political than I post here. Anyone wants to get them my alternate email address is : [email protected]. Incredible, you guys let something get ruined that's been going on for years by someone who's been here for six weeks and can't come out and explain why they are offended. I'll take a refund on my Lifetime Membership any time you want to send it, and where's TNJAKE TNJAKE ? RAY

butthurt.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, think it might be a good idea... leave the jokes in the joke section. There is no room for complaints that way. If someone complains it's there own fault for going there to read them. Kinda like taking the kids to an R rated movie and complaining about nudity and cussing.

Ryan

And another vote to keep the Jokes section. It often helps me get a bad day going better, and more often it's a great pick me up in the evenings, especially after a bad day.

I don't see that it's gone. I just see that it has apparently been moved to a sub-forum of the "Just For Fun" forum.

And also, no recent posts from it shows up in the latest posts area or the hot threads area.

I hope nobody complained about my Texas cookout post - posted in November.

I’ll share a few thoughts as well.While it’s a smoking forum people form friendships and come here to talk about smoking but also be social with friends. Like a giant informative water cooler. I am big on stand up comedy shows. I’ve been to a fair amount live. Invariably there is someone who gets offended and verbally complains to the comedian over content. It never ceases to amaze me as at shows like that it’s a given that often something will be said that is potentially offensive to some. I’ve always found it ironic that someone puts theirselves in that situation and then get mad. Relative to whether jokes belong in a smoking forum ultimately that is up to Jeff. I will say many large forums on various topics have both joke and political forums. I belong to at least two major sports forums. They do this to keep them out of the specific topic and general forums so that if someone CHOOSES to enter that area they take the risk of being offended. They are unmoderated sub forums and presented as such. For me if it offends me I move on, if it’s repetitive I block someone or simply don’t enter the forum. Heck label it Jokes- Proceed With Caution but honestly someone has to search and seek it out just to see it now. To me this is right up there with someone choosing to come to a smoking meat forum and then complain about killing animals for food. Hopefully my thoughts were presented politely and constructively. Thanks for listening.

Last edited:
I wasn't aware we had that many Karens in the Forum Membership, Brian. Personally, I like seeing the jokes. A few jokes can be a real pick-me-up on an off day. A quick visit to the Jokes forum is generally my last stop before leaving SMF, and I have been known to share a couple of jokes myself in the hope of bring a smile to someone's face.
If those easily offended Karens take offence at a joke, then as you say, it is a simple matter to overcome the problem--don't click on Jokes. Even a Karen should be able to grasp that concept.
If, as you say, this forum is all about smoking food, what about the other 24 forums and sub forums I earmarked at a quick glance as non smoking content? Do you plan to eliminate them from SMF in the near future too unless the posts contain some kind of smoked food in the write up??
I'm really getting fed up with catering to the minority at the expense of the majority. Post a poll (voter names req'd, screen names OK) and get the opinion of all the members, not just the Karens. Then, if the majority vote Jokes out, you won't hear me whining about it.
Gary

Gary, Please refrain from calling people names on the forum. That is a violation of rules as its not being nice and courteous.

If any other forum caused the issues we have with jokes we would be in the same boat we are now with them and would figure out how to resolve it or get rid of it which is what is going on now.

Do whatever you like Brian, you will anyway. I went over my history and found that I'd made around 225 posts on the Jokes thread without a complaint. Now someone who has been here less than two months has ruined it for the general population. All someone has to do if they don't want to hear what a particular person has to post is hit the "ignore" button, I've done it myself with a couple of guys that used to be big chatters, never really got into that, still seems to be a failure. I email the same jokes to old friends and family every week, tho they tend to be a bit more racy and political than I post here. Anyone wants to get them my alternate email address is : [email protected]. Incredible, you guys let something get ruined that's been going on for years by someone who's been here for six weeks and can't come out and explain why they are offended. I'll take a refund on my Lifetime Membership any time you want to send it, and where's TNJAKE TNJAKE ? RAY

View attachment 664345

Ray, I believe your perception that there has never been a complaint may not be correct as we have had complaints about it and we keep it private to prevent the drama we have right now from going on. As of right now the jokes section will stay but it will not be on the recent activity page so that people can go view it if they want and if they don't want to see it they do not have to see it.

I agree with you on the ignore button but sadly there are folks that do not use it because they want the drama.

As for where is TNjake you can ask him yourself. Or are you saying that to try to stir a pot that doesn't need to be stirred? If Jake isn't around that his business and his alone and no one needs to put that out there. If Jake or any member wants to talk about their decisions they are grown adults and can do so.

Lastly, just because someone has only been here 6 weeks doesn't mean they don't have value or that we should ignore them. And the fact that they were willing to say they were one of the ones that didn't like it shows alot of who they are and the fact that they wouldn't hide in private like alot of others do. And the others do it because they know that there is a good chance they will be dragged thru it on the open forum because others can't understand how anyone would have a different view on things.

The squeaky wheel always gets the oil...
You are assuming there was just 1 complaint. This isn't about just 1 complaint.

In the end here is a section of the rules written by TulsaJeff.

"We have a huge community, so in order to manage such a large group of diverse people we must enforce certain standards and rules. Underlying these rules is the fact that SMF is a place where people of different backgrounds and ideas can all feel comfortable participating around their same interest."

We have to find a middle ground so that all feel comfortable participating and that is what we are trying to get to and not to run anyone off. This will never be perfect but we are trying to do the best to include all here because everyone has something to offer.

Last edited:
Ray, I believe your perception that there has never been a complaint may be correct but we have had complaints about it and we keep it private to prevent the drama we have right now from going on. As of right now the jokes section will stay but it will not be on the recent activity page so that people can go view it if they want and if they don't want to see it they do not have to see it.

I agree with you on the ignore button but sadly there are folks that do not use it because they want the drama.

As for where is TNjake you can ask him yourself. Or are you saying that to try to stir a pot that doesn't need to be stirred? If Jake isn't around that his business and his alone and no one needs to put that out there. If Jake or any member wants to talk about their decisions they are grown adults and can do so.

Lastly, just because someone has only been here 6 weeks doesn't mean they don't have value or that we should ignore them. And the fact that they were willing to say they were one of the ones that didn't like it shows alot of who they are and the fact that they wouldn't hide in private like alot of others do. And the others do it because they know that there is a good chance they will be dragged thru it on the open forum because others can't understand how anyone would have a different view on things.

You are assuming there was just 1 complaint. This isn't about just 1 complaint.

In the end here is a section of the rules written by TulsaJeff.

"We have a huge community, so in order to manage such a large group of diverse people we must enforce certain standards and rules. Underlying these rules is the fact that SMF is a place where people of different backgrounds and ideas can all feel comfortable participating around their same interest."

We have to find a middle ground so that all feel comfortable participating and that is what we are trying to get to and not to run anyone off. This will never be perfect but we are trying to do the best to include all here because everyone has something to offer.
Well said and I’m not Joking. Much Love everyone. Happy a Monday. No need for alarm even though it is May Day!

Last edited:
Reactions: smokin peachey
sawhorseray sawhorseray if we get a complaint in the future and the joke is deemed out of line with the forums view then we will.do our best to contact you and it can be corrected.

Remember we are humans and can error as well. Please have some grace and patience when dealing with staff as it's not a easy place to be at times.

sawhorseray sawhorseray if we get a complaint in the future and the joke is deemed out of line with the forums view then we will.do our best to contact you and it can be corrected.

Remember we are humans and can error as well. Please have some grace and patience when dealing with staff as it's not a easy place to be at times.
I don't have a problem with that Brian, a couple of them have been pulled over the years. I recall Adam sending me a PM about one or two that got yanked some time back. I realize it's a family show and try to keep things fairly clean and non-political, I also realize some folks are always going to be offended by something. I believe Ryan and Jeff pretty much nailed it, keep them where they are, if someone can't take a joke they don't have to go looking for it. The jokes get circulated by five friends I've known for 50 years, there used to be a couple more of us, it's how we stay in touch. I'd think a few of the folks here might send them on to their friends, makes the world a little better place when you can put a smile on someone's face and bring out a chuckle. RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky