Am I doing something wrong?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

02ebz06

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 1, 2012
Rio Rancho, NM
Normally I hit "What's new" to see recent posts.
I was scrolling down the Forums this morning and found the "Jokes" forum and never knew it existed.
That got me to thinking that I should see new posts from there when I press "What's new" but I don't.

Is there something I need to do have them show up?
Guess this would apply to all forums as well.

TIA

Reactions: JLeonard
I was scrolling down the Forums this morning and found the "Jokes" forum and never knew it existed.
That got me to thinking that I should see new posts from there when I press "What's new" but I don't.

TIA
I wish I had an answer for you, but I'm just as confused as you about how this page works! Good luck!

TIA
You're not doing anything wrong. The joke forum was really popular almost to the point where it was taking over the site. Also some of the jokes posted were questionable in nature. So the admins. made it so that if you wanted to read the jokes. You actually had to go to the joke forum to do so. I keep forgetting to go there and catch up. I really enjoyed most of the jokes. OK all of them.

Chris

You're not doing anything wrong. The joke forum was really popular almost to the point where it was taking over the site.
Somewhat of an exaggeration.

If you want all you have to do is watch the jokes forum and you will be told when someone posts to that forum.

Reactions: 02ebz06
Don't think I ever watched any forums. Guess I can figure out how to do that.
Thanks. :emoji_thumbsup:

Reactions: JLeonard
You're not doing anything wrong.
Chris is right. We had a brand new member complain about the content of a couple jokes that were posted and it started a big brewhaha. That member is now gone but the admins made it so you had to actually go to that sub forum to see anything....but Chris already noted that. Personally I don't see any difference between making that move versus letting them be visible on the main page and if somebody is concerned they may be offended, just skip over the thread and keep going. I miss the jokes very much and also like Chris, I keep forgetting to go check them on a regular basis.

Robert

Add me as another forgetful one... off to read the jokes!

Ryan

I agree completely.

Yeah same here. But sometimes the squeaky wheel get the oil. Much to the detriment of the others.
IMHO both of you are in the same mindset as I am. Couple bothersome things about this. First off is that the admins always tell people that if you don't like a person or think you may be offended by the content of a thread, just skip past it and don't read the thing. In this situation they took a whole different approach to what they preach, and as Jim said, to the detriment of the masses. Another aspect which is disheartening is that after the person who complained got their way and the jokes were shut down from visibility on the main page, that person made a huge and dramatic exit from the forum and has not been seen since. So here we all are being punished in a sense over somebody whining who is no longer here. Doesn't add up in my book.

Robert

IMHO both of you are in the same mindset as I am. Couple bothersome things about this. First off is that the admins always tell people that if you don't like a person or think you may be offended by the content of a thread, just skip past it and don't read the thing. In this situation they took a whole different approach to what they preach, and as Jim said, to the detriment of the masses. Another aspect which is disheartening is that after the person who complained got their way and the jokes were shut down from visibility on the main page, that person made a huge and dramatic exit from the forum and has not been seen since. So here we all are being punished in a sense over somebody whining who is no longer here. Doesn't add up in my book.

Robert
Pretty fair summation of what went down.

Robert
totally forgot that forum existed, now have months to catch up. I agree should not be hidden if something is offensive the mods could just delete it

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Dang I'd fergot about having to go check there for jokes.
How many people here check every thread that's posted or just the ones that offend them?

totally forgot that forum existed, now have months to catch up. I agree should not be hidden if something is offensive the mods could just delete it
That makes alot of catching up on for both of us! Since I never think to go look for it either... until today... dang I'm way behind!

But I have to say as one of the newest moderators on this site... I feel the same as alot of you... but as a moderator that all changes. Doubt there's a joke out there that is offensive to me! If there is then I'll just move along. But to each their own, the staff can't determine what's offensive. To each and every one of us... we are all different... from our tastes and what we prefer to how we smoke certain things, to what's funny and what's offensive to others. It's a balancing game... what is the right way to handle it? To my knowledge, the way it is now seems pretty good... but I just flagged the joke section today so I'll be notified if a new joke is posted... I think... if I did it right! If I did it right I'll let you know!

Ryan

It's a tough line to tread when it comes to moderating a forum. So easy to get caught up in the current situation of an issue while trying to apply a leveled solution. Of course, there's always the postmortem review that on occasion can paint a slightly different picture.

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky