Never dreamed I'd see the day I'd be priced out of fast food

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I splurged and went to Culvers a couple of hours ago. For fast food, it's hard to top Culvers quality. It's always been a bit higher than the the other drive thru's but it is consistently good.

I had a double patty melt with grilled onions, fries, and what they call a Concrete Mixer with blueberries and butter cake bits. Yes - my stomach is paying the price for the ice cream, but it's the first ice cream I've had in several months lol. And I considered it worth the 14 bucks because I enjoyed it. I can never say I 'enjoy' something from McDonalds. I do use the app in a pinch for a pair of double cheeseburgers. Using the app I get the pair for about 4 bucks. Works when I've been busy being a commuting husband/dad and I've been going at work for 4 hours, been up 13 hours with another 6-7 to go before I get back into bed, driven almost 150 miles and had to go to school with our autistic 5 year old - all before I even go do the paying job. Works even better to bloat me up like an overcooked sausage.

Grand total for so much actually good food that I couldn't even finish all of was 13.72

Now I took my step kid to Sonic last weekend. For me, her, and the missus, it was over $52. My meal (which was a double cheesburger meal - with iced tea so NO ice cream upcharge) was almost $15. And the food was lousy. And I used to really like Sonic..... but quality went to hell during Covid and never returned.

Yeah - it's convenient but it's barely food most of the time.

Nothing beats my own burgers, ground from steaks and roasts and 6-8 oz each and topped with my own home cured and smoked bacon, even if I do buy the buns.

I remember the day I said enough is enough with fast food. Stopped at a Taco Bell a couple of years ago. I ordered 3 taco supremes and a soda. 15 bucks. When the girl on the other end of the speaker told me that, I told her to cancel it all. It took me a while before I broke down and went through another drive thru. Now, if I do, I use the apps and just get something to put calories in. It all tastes like crap, so "cheapest" fits the bill.
I love Culvers. Culvers and Buc ees always a stop in route.
We drive our 300.000+ mile 24 year old pickup to the Mojave AZ location because we don't have one here.

Clean, appreciative employees, fun menu, always good food. A treat.
Then we head up thru the desert to Oatman and feed the wild burros in route.
Wife tends to a burros cut. Has all kinda Burro Treats in the bag:
9rvaIcD.jpg

The burros can quickly easily stretch their head thru the window all the way into the center consul and steal my Culvers fries.

So I shouldn't be driving a manual with a beer between my legs
Most cars have cup holders now for road sodies.
Glad I don't put makeup on then! :emoji_blush:

Ryan
Don't forget about guys using cordless electric razors to shave/trim their beards.

In 70s we used to have burger eating contests on the bus ride home from hockey games. McDs burgers could be had for a buck apiece. The loser would get a wedgie at some unknown time in the future.

Chris

I can't think of the last time i had any McD, BK, wendy's etc...I will hit Costco for the $1.99 slice of pizza or very occasionally use the Taco Hell app to custom make a box of nachos, beefy burrito, crunchwrap supreme and soda for $5.99

Reactions: Dive Bar Casanova
I hate having to go to one of those places anymore and the ones I've been to there was nothing fast about them. Down here most are dealing with the wage increases by cutting staff at many you have to order at the kiosk and there is only one person getting all the orders packaged up. If they do wait on you at the counter it only slows everything down because it's still just that person taking the orders and getting everything ready for the customer including the drive through. Along with that the food isn't even good. They tried going cash less but the state put a law in that retail sales places must take cash that includes fast food places

Maybe not fast food,, but the Swedish meatballs at Ikea will stay on the OK to buy list.
Trick at Ikea is remember the way you came in. Then exit in a reverse route. Other wise it's a long journey to the exits.
Spartan and plain as all get out, but good food at a good price.
1710928806952.jpeg

Reactions: JLeonard
Trick at Ikea is remember the way you came in. Then exit in a reverse route. Other wise it's a long journey to the exits.
Never been in an IKEA. Don't even know where one is.
We had one open up here in Memphis a couple of years ago. Had a rainy weekend and nothing to do, so I went and checked it out. The meatballs were pretty good. And then I wandered around lost for 2 hours! :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing: I was afraid that they were gonna lock the doors and turn the lights out on me. :emoji_laughing:

Jim

Its expensive here in michigan. Taco bell used to have $5 box deals but i haven't seen them in awhile. Wendys $5 and $6 bags are the only things that are a decent value, but I don't want to eat that all the time. Subway? You pay as much for a 6 inch sub as you do for a footlong anymore. A footlong meal (chips and a drink) is about $18, and not every subway participates in coupons.

I could go on and on. So essentially I eat 1 meal a day anymore, and if I don't cook it, its a split meal with the wife. Lets not talk about grocerys...

I can't remember the last time I ate at McDs. It's been at least 8 years. Last summer we ordered two burgers at a Carls' Jr drive thru and the cost was almost $25. Haven't been back to a fast food place since.

Once or twice a month we eat at chain places with takeout counters (Chipotle, Garden of Eat'n, Panda Express, Dos Coyotes, etc), and the cost for two is usually $25‐$40. That's about a 30% increase over the last several years, and does not include what's going to happen to prices after April 1st.

We can rarely get out at a full service restaurant for less than $60. The only time we eat there now is when we travel to see the kids.

The days of eating out 3 times a week are long gone for us. Now, if we want something quick, I head to the freezer for something from Trader Joe's. Nuke. Eat. Fast enough.

The one in Memphis has a restaurant that is open Mon-Sun 11-6.

Jim
Oh, I guess anything to make a buck or two. LOL
We don't have actual store here in town but they do have a mail order office you can order from and get you idems. Larger cities have the actual stores.
Goes to show you how far off the beaten path I am LOL

IKEA Canada announced Wednesday that it is launching a pick-up location in Thunder Bay, its first in Ontario north of Barrie. It said the move reflects its "commitment to make shopping with IKEA more accessible and affordable for those who don't have easy access to an IKEA store."Oct 25, 2023

Where the heck does a Ikea sell food??
Never seen one sell anything but cheap home decor
View attachment 692168
The few I've been to the Food is usually upstairs and only a couple selections, then a separate slop chute near the exit with $1 Hot Dogs and chips.
In the dining rooms there is an annoying whistle every 2 minutes,, we think so people will get irritated, eat up and leave.
Tray carts for customers. Everything on it cheap, or was last we visited:
348s.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
Oh, I guess anything to make a buck or two. LOL
We don't have actual store here in town but they do have a mail order office you can order from and get you idems. Larger cities have the actual stores.
Goes to show you how far off the beaten path I am LOL

IKEA Canada announced Wednesday that it is launching a pick-up location in Thunder Bay, its first in Ontario north of Barrie. It said the move reflects its "commitment to make shopping with IKEA more accessible and affordable for those who don't have easy access to an IKEA store."Oct 25, 2023
Shoot after wandering around the store..Lost.....I was happy to find the restaurant as I was thirsty and starving. Of course it was dead middle and it took me another 2 hours to get out! First and last time I've been in there.

Jim

We had one open up here in Memphis a couple of years ago. Had a rainy weekend and nothing to do, so I went and checked it out. The meatballs were pretty good. And then I wandered around lost for 2 hours! :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing: I was afraid that they were gonna lock the doors and turn the lights out on me. :emoji_laughing:

Jim
My thoughts heading to the proper exits that take forever walking thru mazes of merch are if there was a fire or earthquake, hang it up and stand by. It'll be catastrophic.

I will admit to occasionally partaking in fast food. But the only way to get a deal anymore is to have their app on your phone. Jack-in-the-Box did have a good fish sandwich for about $3.25 recently. It's bigger and half the price of McDonald's filet-o-fish.

Reactions: Dive Bar Casanova
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky