Jeff's Rub vs Meat Church

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Whistle

Original poster
May 18, 2018
I am wanting to do a brisket (12 pounds) next weekend and looking for a good rub for it. I've purchased the recipe for Jeff and wondered if I should try it or try Meat Church.

I have been seeing a lot of people using Meat Church over on the face of books.

What rub are you guys using on your brisket? This will be my first time.

Reactions: JC in GB
For some reason, I've never gotten around to smoking a brisket. However, when I finally do, I will most definitely be using either Jeff's original rub, or his Texas rub. I think the original rub would be a good choice and is probably what I'd use.

I am not familiar with "Meat Church," so I can't give you a comparison.

I like Jeff's rub on most things. I prefer his Texas style rub on beef.

For brisket I use this rub. Not sure who invented it but works real well on brisket.

Oklahoma Style Brisket rub:
  • 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) paprika
  • 3 tablespoons garlic powder
  • 3 tablespoons celery salt
  • 2 tablespoons salt
  • 2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons ground cumin
  • 2 tablespoons pure chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon ground white pepper
  • 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper

Reactions: jokensmoken
I haven't used Jeff's Rub but started using Meat Church "Holy Gospel" a few months ago. It's excellent and worth a try if you're looking for something new.

I think Meat Church, Holy Cow & Holy Gospel are very good rubs and I use them a lot but I really like the Texas Rub recipe about as good as any rub I've used on Brisket. SPOG with a twist. Jeff did good with that combination. It works great with brisket. So many rubs.........

Well I just said the heck with it and bought two things of the Meat Church Holy Cow rub and then bought a second brisket.

Figured I will do one with Jeff's Texas Rub and another using the Holy Cow rub. :D

Well I just said the heck with it and bought two things of the Meat Church Holy Cow rub and then bought a second brisket.

Figured I will do one with Jeff's Texas Rub and another using the Holy Cow rub. :D

Great, now you can tell us which one is better. I suspect both will be great.

Looking forward to hearing your comparison.
After hearing @gary s talk about Texas brisket, I have been using only S&P.
Once in a while I will add some garlic & onion powder.
However Jeff's rub is really good!
I guess it all comes down to personal preference.
Al

I use Montreal Steak Seasoning...

EDIT: May 10 - I just trimmed a 10# brisket. I separated the point from the flat and used the seasoning above. I also prepped 2 (8# each) Pork Butts.

I'll be smoking tomorrow while mowing the lawn. My lawn takes about 4-4.5 hours if I mow by myself. The time is cut in half if SWMBO helps.

Last edited:
Here's a 16.5# Select whole packer brisket I picked up at the local Brookshires yesterday for $2.59/lbs.
Gave it a good rinse with cold water & trimmed about 3/4 lbs of fat off before covering it with a very generous layer & fresh batch of Jeff's Texas Rub - straight up as per the recipe but I used a Chipotle Chili Power. Point blank there are a lot of rubs out there and I plan to try as many as I can while I'm alive and smoking but Jeff's Texas Rub is as good as it gets.
IMG_4114.JPG

I put it in the Yoder set on 220 deg filled with Cooking Pellets' Hickory pellets & a 12" AMPS full of Hickory & Mesquite just smokin' away for a little added smoke flavor over the 1st 5 hours or so. Temp probes in the middle of the point and the flank as you can see in the photos. Now I've loaded the yoder for an all nighter with a goal of 203 (the perfect temp!!!!!!) 200 to 215 works like a charm. Then I plan to turn the point into burnt ends. This could be epic! :emoji_sunglasses:
IMG_4115.JPG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky