Is there a difference between the "kill" date and cyrovac processing date on a package from slaughter house?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
How many days between kill date and the date the processor cyrovac’s it before it gets sent to stores?

How many days between kill date and the date the processor cyrovac’s it before it gets sent to stores?
Call the packer and ask them.
Typically the slaughter/butcher time to packing is short. Maybe a couple days, then cryovacced that’s where the whole “wet age” thing came from, marketing. It’s pure BS, in my opinion. Once in the cryo, its all about shelf life in refrigeration.

Reactions: DougE
If you're having a beef you brought processed, its cut, vac'd and frozen pretty quickly after aging the carcass, but for retail, IDK the lag time.

Call the packer and ask them.
Typically the slaughter/butcher time to packing is short. Maybe a couple days, then cryovacced that’s where the whole “wet age” thing came from, marketing. It’s pure BS, in my opinion. Once in the cryo, its all about shelf life in refrigeration.
The enzymatic processes continue in the cryo-bag so there is some benefit to wet aging, but not like true dry aging (and will continue for 4-5 months).

Reactions: SmokinEdge
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky