Discard loaf (almost failure)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Fueling Around

Smoking Guru
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 10, 2018
FL winter, MN summer
Decided to make a couple of bread pan loafs from sourdough discard today. 1/2% salt for our taste and no added sugars.
Well, I wasn't paying attention to the time and finally realized my freshly opened package of yeast was DOA
Got this from I think Costco and the package is dead
yeast.png

Fast scramble to local grocery store for a package of Fleishman's which has always been reliable.
Yes, it was alive and got my dough rising. I probably rushed things as the discard had enough life that it started proofing the dough by the time I got back with the packaged yeast. I didn't want it to mush out (over proofed).

Not my better forming and I should have let it rise longer in the bread pans.
sliced.png

I tried a different method of forming the dough that was basically a wrap and roll without the cinnamon filling.
Passed the wife's taste testing. Almost perfect crumb for sandwich and toaster bread.
2nd loaf goes to friends that also prefer low sodium.
I'm not sure on the wrap and roll.

I texted the kids it smells like Grandma's house which is there favorite childhood memory. My Mom made bread about every 2 weeks.

You buy yeast by the pound? Wow, you must make a lot of bread. A small jar will last me a year, if kept in the fridge. That's about as long as it will reasonably last, anyway.

Reactions: JLeonard
You buy yeast by the pound? Wow, you must make a lot of bread. A small jar will last me a year, if kept in the fridge. That's about as long as it will reasonably last, anyway.
I get a 1# brick for about the same money as a 4 oz jar and the expiration date is usually a year longer

Bread looks good.
I keep my yeast in the freezer. Lasts a long time.
I keep a couple ounces in the fridge and vac pac and freeze the remainder

couple slices with some amish butter and apple butter.....heck ya

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky