Is the AMNPS really worth it on the MES?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Mine is burning right now.  I love it.  I even have those days where I have a hard time keeping it lit but I will not smoke without it.

The AMNPS 5x8 usually works great in the MES 30 & 40, but occasionally there are issues

It's a great alternative to dumping chips every 30-40 minutes

Some guys use the mailbox mod with great success

Elevation can be an issue for the AMNPS 5x8, but the 12" Tube Smoker is a great alternative

The MES Gen 2 has terrible airflow, and there are a couple tricks to help

Remove the water pan and place it on the floor

Place the AMNPS 5x8 on top the hole where the water pan used to sit

Exhaust WIDE open

Pull the chip loader out 2" and rotate to the "Dump" position.....VERY IMPORTANT!!!!

I answer emails and phone calls every day

You can email me at [email protected]

Call me at work - 952 736-7678

Or call my cell - 952 412-0484

If you still can't get it to work to your liking, just return it to us for a FULL REFUND

That's My Promise!

Todd

The AMNPS 5x8 usually works great in the MES 30 & 40, but occasionally there are issues
It's a great alternative to dumping chips every 30-40 minutes

Some guys use the mailbox mod with great success
Elevation can be an issue for the AMNPS 5x8, but the 12" Tube Smoker is a great alternative

The MES Gen 2 has terrible airflow, and there are a couple tricks to help
Remove the water pan and place it on the floor
Place the AMNPS 5x8 on top the hole where the water pan used to sit
Exhaust WIDE open
Pull the chip loader out 2" and rotate to the "Dump" position.....VERY IMPORTANT!!!!

I answer emails and phone calls every day
You can email me at [email protected]
Call me at work - 952 736-7678
Or call my cell - 952 412-0484

If you still can't get it to work to your liking, just return it to us for a FULL REFUND

That's My Promise!

Todd

With customer service like that, the question now is can you afford not to try it. My MES 40 does not get used without my AMNPS filled with Todd's pellets.

Uh Oh---I think I better check-----After using my Amazing smokers exclusively for over 5 years, and not using my MES chip burner once in those 5 years, I better check----I think the Chip Dumper access hole might have grown shut !!!

Bear

Last edited:
If you are wanting/planning on doing long smokes (PP, brisket) or especially cold/warm smoking (bacon, sausages, dried beef) then I would say get it.  Sometimes takes some playing around to get it to work perfect.  But once you do it makes all those things so much easier.

If you were just going to do pork loins, chicken, even ribs, which might only smoke for a few hours I could understand not.  But for those long smokes (especially over-night) the AMNPS is amazing.

Howdy!

My answer is, "YES!!!!"

I have the MES 40 Gen 2 1. I was very frustrated with it until I found out about and bought the A-maze-N tray and Todd's pellets. I cannot imagine using the smoker without the tray and pellets.

I just bought the 12" tube that Todd referred to, not because the tray doesn't work, but because the tube will work much better in my Weber OTG that I use for smaller smokes.

If you don't like it, you can always take Todd up on his offer to take it back and give a refund.

Last edited:
I am very glad and happy Todd came up with the smoke generators he has designed and sells...... below are mods I have made, because I have time... the MES 30 is awesome with all the mods....

.. ..
.. ..
.. .. .. ..

Howdy, Dave!

I'm certain that you have described these mods in other posts, but I'm having trouble finding them. Can you give me links? I'm especially interested in the baffle under the exhaust vent and the pipe from the intake vent over to where the maze sits. Speaking of that, did you try using 3" metal pipe for the intake control?

TIA

rh

I am very glad and happy Todd came up with the smoke generators he has designed and sells...... below are mods I have made, because I have time... the MES 30 is awesome with all the mods....

.. ..
.. ..
.. .. .. ..

Howdy, Dave!

I'm certain that you have described these mods in other posts, but I'm having trouble finding them. Can you give me links? I'm especially interested in the baffle under the exhaust vent and the pipe from the intake vent over to where the maze sits. Speaking of that, did you try using 3" metal pipe for the intake control?

TIA

rh

The mods were made over time and there is no thread.... The pictures are the plans... no measurements... All the tubing and fittings are 3" aluminum from home depot... the tunnel, in the top, is aluminum roof flashing bent to give about 1-1 1/4"" clearance and fit to move heat etc. from about the center of the smoker.... it was designed to help eliminate the hot spot in the left rear of the smoker...
If you sit around your smoke with cold beer in hand, looooooong enough, you can come up with all sorts of things to do....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky